Skip to the main content of the page

About ODHS

​​​​​​​Working within the Governor's Advocacy Office, the Office of the Foster Care Ombuds is an independent resource to investigate complaints, concerns or violation of rights for children in the custody of Oregon Department of Human Services. The ​Ombuds position was created in 2013 with the passage of Senate Bill 123. This position is the result of legislation developed and passed by current and former foster youth. The Ombuds  receives, investigates and helps resolve complaints and concerns from a wide range of people including foster youth, parents, relatives, CASAs, attorneys, social workers and many other interested parties.

If you are a current or former foster youth or if you have concerns or complaints about a child or youth in foster care, the staff at the Ombuds Office will:

  1. Listen to your concerns;
  2. Document complaints;
  3. Gather all relevant information;
  4. Remain neutral and impartial;
  5. Provide information on how to help.

 How to file a complaint

There are several ways to make a complaint. You may

  • call the Youth Empowerment and Safety (Y.E.S.) line at 1-855-840-6036, 
  • email​​,
  • fax complaint form to 503-378-6532, or
  • mail complaint form to 500 Summer St. NE E-17, Salem, OR 97301

You may use the Foster Care Ombuds Complaint form to help organize your complaint, however, the form is not required to complete your complaint.

Note:  ​​​This form does not work in all internet browsers. For best user experience, download this file to your computer and open it in the latest version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (, or open it in Internet Explorer 7+.

The Y.E.S. line is not just for making complaints. Foster youth can also call the hotline (1-855-840-6036) with questions about their rights, their care and wellbeing, issues with their placement or services received while in foster care.

Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect

If you think someone is being hurt or is in danger, call 911 immediately

If you suspect abuse or neglect call 1-855-503-SAFE (7233).​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​