Administration dates for the Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE) are set by the Council of Landscape Architect Registration Boards (CLARB), not the Board. CLARB administers the LARE three times per year, in early spring, summer, and late fall. CLARB administration dates for 2020 are:
- March 23 - April 4 **This spring administration window was cancelled due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.**
- May 23 - June 14 **This new administration window announced on March 30, 2020 by CLARB was cancelled on April 27, 2020 due to ongoing COVID-19 related concerns.** Exam candidates need to contact CLARB directly for assistance with rescheduling. See also the CLARB COVID-19 information COVID-19 information webpage for additional information.
- August 1 - September 19 **This administration window has been extended by CLARB to accomodate those candidates that could not sit for exam in spring 2020.**
- November 30 - December 12
Visit the CLARB website
for the CLARB registration and cancellation deadlines for each exam administration.
Note: For an applicant that has not yet obtained Board pre-approval to sit for the LARE, please make note of the following deadlines for application to the Board:
- at least 30 days prior to the close of the registration period set by CLARB for the applicant's first requested exam date, for applicants with a landscape architecture degree accredited by the Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board (LAAB)
- at least 45 days prior to the close of the registration period set by CLARB for the applicant's first requested exam date, for applicants without an LAAB degree
For example, the CLARB registration period for the August 2018 administration was May 7-July 27. Applications for pre-approval were therefore due to the Board either 30 days prior to July 27 (LAAB degree) or 45 days prior to July 27 (no LAAB degree).
Once the Board has granted pre-approval to sit for the LARE, the exam applicant is authorized to register for any or all sections of the exam, either at one time or at separate times. The Board's pre-approval is valid for 5 years with the possibility of a 1-year extension upon timely written request.
The Board collects an application fee of $100 for applications for pre-approval to sit for the LARE. Upon approval of an application to sit for exam, the Board notifies CLARB that the applicant can register for exam sections.
The Board does not collect exam fees. Exam fees must be paid directly to CLARB as part of the exam registration process. CLARB exam fees are listed below for reference only.