Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Limited Permit


House Bill 3300 (2023), a concept brought forth by the Board, will allow the Board to grant limited permits to qualifying individuals who are actively licensed in other states.  The Board recently engaged in rulemaking to establish the permitting process.  

Please see the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Permanent Administrative Order for further background.  The Board began accepting permit applications on the effective date of the rule- January 1, 2024.


A non-renewable limited permit may be issued to applicants that that possess a current, active license to practice professional counseling or marriage and family therapy in good standing in another state based on a graduate degree. This permit allows the provision of services only for a limited specific purpose and time-specific period.  It is not intended to be a substitute for or to allow unlimited, general provision of services in Oregon. 

A permit is valid for no more than 30 days in a 12 month period (the 30 days do not need to be consecutive). You must be actively licensed in another jurisdiction in good standing. It is the applicant's responsibility to check permit requirements prior to applying; permit application fees are non-refundable.  See OAR 833-020-0102.

The Statement of Work must list a specific work purpose, time period, and location of the activity to be performed.  Board staff may request further clarification or request Board review if your statement does not contain sufficient information or it is unclear that a proposed scope of work fits the limited qualifying criteria.

Work that is ongoing, open-ended, and/or does not have specific purpose will not qualify for a limited permit.  A full license is required in these cases.​

  • ​​I have been appointed by the Deschutes​​ County District Court to conduct a child custody evaluation. On July 2nd, I plan to conduct perform a home visit observation at the father’s home in Three Rivers, Oregon.​
  • ​I have a client who is a college student in Minnesota, and she will be returning home to Portland, Oregon for summer break from June through August.  I wish to provide tele-mental health services to her on a biweekly basis from my office in Minneapolis, MN.
  • I have been asked to perform work as a subject matter expert on parental alienation by Oregon DHS in Salem.  This will include clinical interviews of a family (mother and father) and records review on or about January 1st -5th, followed by a report [detail] and possible expert testimony in Marion County Court (I will update the Board on the date if this is scheduled).
  • I have been appointed by the Unites States District Court, District of Oregon, Portland Division to provide specialty transitional counseling [detail] to an inmate housed at the Multnomah County Inverness Jail during the first week of May.​​​
  • My client of 5 years is moving to Eugene, Oregon and I am requesting a permit that will allow me to perform weekly telephone therapy sessions (as appropriate) from my office in Reno, Nevada beginning the week of November 3rd in order to provide continuity of therapy, support for any adjustment difficulties she may experience, and to transition her to a local provider.  I expect to end the week of December 1st but will notify the Board if this changes.​

  • ​My office is near the border of California and Oregon and I wish to expand my practice to see clients at a colleague’s Oregon office space one day every other week (no more than 30 days total) between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2015.
  • I plan to conduct evaluations and consult at a wilderness program for 2 days per month beginning on May 30th. 
  • I have three custody evaluations scheduled in Oregon for this summer but I will not go over the 30 day limit. 
  • My client is relocating to Hood River, Oregon and I would like to continue therapy over the phone biweekly or as needed on an ongoing basis.
  • I will be conducting assessments on 5 clients in Oregon.​

​Applicants must possess a current, active license to practice professional counseling or marriage and family therapy in good standing in another state based on a graduate degree.  Examples of license titles include:

  • ​Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
  • Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
  • Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
  • Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
  • Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC)
  • Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)​​

  • Pre-licensed statuses including Registered Associates, Provisional LPCs, Registered Interns, and Registered Mental Health Interns. This includes individuals that have not yet met the supervised clinicial experience requirements for full, independent licensure.
  • Other professions including Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSWs), psychologists, and psychiatrists.
  • Specialty authorizations (limited practice areas) inluding sex offender therapists, art therapists, and school counselors. 
  • Oregon LPCs and LMFTs on inactive status.

How to Apply

Apply for a permit via the Applicant Portal (select "Limited Permit" as the Application Type). The non-refundable permit application fee is $100.  You must submit your statement of work and include the following:

  • A complete description of the work to be performed, including the purpose; 
  • The location of the activity;
  • The specific dates of the activity (frequency of visits & start/end dates, not to exceed 30 days in a 12 month period); and
  • The names of the parties requesting the activity to the extent permissible under confidentiality laws. 
Any changes made to this statement must be submitted to the Board's office, including adjustments to dates.