Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Professional Disclosure Statement (PDS)

***The PDS requirements have changed starting in 2024. Please see the helpful Guidance Chart.***

Basic Requirement

The professional disclosure statement (PDS) is a document that an LPC, LMFT, registered associate, or temporary practitioner gives to each client that provides information about the practitioner and their practice.
Who must have a PDS?
  • Unless exempt, applicants must submit a PDS as part of their application.
  • Every LPC, LMFT, registered associate, and temporary practitioner practicing in Oregon must have, maintain and distribute a PDS (unless exempt).
  • The Board must approve all PDSs.

PDS Content

  • Name, business address and telephone number (place or places of practice);
  • Philosophy and approach and list of the Client Bill of Rights;
  • A statement indicating adherence to the Oregon Licensing Board's Code of Ethics set forth in OAR Chapter 833, Division 100;
  • Formal education and training, including title of highest degree earned and the school that granted the degree;
  • Continuing education requirements (licensees only);
  • Supervision requirements;
  • Registered associate status, including name of supervisor (registered associates only);
  • Fee schedule;
  • The Board's name, address, phone number, and email address; and
  • A statement that additional information about licensee, registered associate, or temporary practitioner is available on the Board's website at

Please refer to OAR 833-075-0050 (Licensees and Temporary Practitioners) or OAR 833-050-0031 (Registered Associates).

Sample PDS Documents

PDS Approval & Distribution

  • To the Board office for approval.  Upload the document via the Licensee Portal (or for new applicants, the initial PDS is submitted via the Applicant Portal; if an applicant's initial PDS is denied please send the revision to  Click here for more information about the portals.
  • To all clients at the onset of counseling or therapy, prior to the actual performance or provision of service. This may mean presentation to parent, legal guardian, or an agency or custodial institution, or a supervisee.
  • No PDS is required of those who are exempt.  Refer to OAR 833-075-0050(2)(d) (Licensees and Temporary Practitioners) or OAR 833-050-0031(2)(d) (Registered Associates)

Questions & Answers

Q: I’m not in private practice, do I need to hand out disclosure statements?
A: Yes. If you are licensed and you are practicing, and do not fall under an exemption, it’s a condition of licensure.

Q: Is it OK to use a PO Box as my business address?
A: Yes.

Q: I’m also licensed as an LCSW, psychologist, etc... and I practice under that license, do I need to be handing out a PDS?
A: Yes, if what you do falls within the definition of "professional counseling" or "marriage & family therapy".
Q: I’m on inactive status and practicing in another state.  Do I need a PDS?
A: No, there is an exception to the PDS requirement for those on inactive status or not practicing in Oregon. You must still notify the Board of your practice.
Q: My agency does not want me to hand out my PDS. What should I do?
A: You are exempt from the PDS distribution requirement if you are employed by a local, state or federal government agency, a public university listed in ORS 352.002, an organization licensed or certified by the Oregon Health Authority, or a group practice if the employer supplies a PDS, informed consent, or equivalent document(s) containing the information required in OAR 833-075-0050(1) (Licensees and Temporary Practitioners) or OAR 833-050-0031(1) (Registered Associates).  In this instance, there is no need to submit a PDS to the Board unless the Board requests a copy of the document.
Q: Do I address the PDS to the Board?
A: No. These should be written for or to your client. Keep them simple and easy to understand.
Q: What should I do if some of the information on my PDS has changed?
A: You must revise the PDS appropriately, and submit it to the Board for approval by uploading it via the Licensee Portal.  There are some exceptions- there is no need to submit your revised PDS to the Board if the only changes to the contents are:
  • Name, business address, and telephone number;
  • Name of the registered associate’s supervisor(s);
  • Oregon licensure requirements for continuing education and supervision;
  • Fee Schedule; or
  • The Board’s name, address, telephone number, and email address.
Q: I have more than one practice, should I have more than one PDS?
A: No, they can be combined so both addresses, phone numbers, and fee schedules or differing information show on the one PDS. If your practices are separate or an employer objects to clients receiving information on your other practice, then you might want to consider separate PDSs.
Q: Should I have them printed before I send it for approval?
A: It might be better to start with photocopies and wait to see that no changes are required for approval.