The registry is a list of Oregon licensed professional counselors (LPCs) and licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) who are available to provide supervision services to registered associates.
- The Supervisor Registry is integrated into the License Search function. To search for supervisors, you can check the box to "only show results with supervisors." The online profile lists the supervisor's supervisory status and languages spoken.
- Apply for placement on the Registry via the Licensee Portal. Once logged in, click on "Supervisor Registry Application" from the left side menu.
A supervisor must be competent in the clinical specialty areas in which the registered associate will be practicing and with the populations with whom the registered associate will be providing professional counseling or marriage and family therapy services. A supervisor may not be a spouse or relative, have a close personal relationship, or be a former therapist of the supervisee. The Board may approve supervisors on the Registry (candidates and approved supervisors) or other qualifying supervisors who meet the criteria below.
Placement on Supervisor Registry
*Important: Licensees who supervise registered associates, including all licensees on the Supervisor Registry, must complete at least three clock hours of supervision-related training within each continuing education reporting period.
Step 1: Become a Supervisor Candidate
- Hold an active Oregon LPC or LMFT license;
- Complete 30 clock hours of post-master’s degree supervision training;
- Successfully pass the Supervisor's Law and Rules Exam;
- Supervision of Supervision (Select Approved Supervisor from Registry to be Supervisor); and
- For supervisors of marriage and family therapist associates only: supervision training must include systems components.
Step 2: Become an Approved Supervisor
After meeting the requirements to become a Supervisor Candidate (Step 1, above):
- Either hold your active Oregon LPC or LMFT license for three years, or Be an Approved Supervisor through the AAMFT or the NBCC Center for Credentialing and Education; and
- Document at least 12 hours of supervision by a Board Approved Supervisor within the past 2 to 5 years. The licensee may have up to two Approved Supervisors, and both Approved Supervisors must complete an evaluation. Approved supervision may include one on one or group supervision of not more than 6 supervisees; and
- Document a minimum of 100 hours between 2 and 5 years of experience supervising at least two registered associates or student interns from Board-Approved Oregon graduate programs.
Supervisors Not on the Registry
Other mental health professionals may serve as supervisors of registered associates if they meet the requirements of OAR 833-130-0070. Completion of the supervision training is documented via the Registered Associate Supervised Clinical Experience Plan form that is submitted as part of the registered associate's application materials. The exam (link below) may be submitted along with this form, or sent separately.
Forms, Documents, & Resources