Skip to the main content of the page

Child Care

​​​ About Employment R​​elated Day Care

​​ ​Expanded Eligibility for ERDC

Students no longer need to work to qualify for child care assistance. Plus, all students will receive additional child care hours each week for study time. Many families will qualify for more child care hours due to a change in the way part-time and full-time coverage is calculated. Families with night shift jobs, caretakers on medical leave, and people caring for someone outside their household may also qualify for expanded ERDC benefits.​  Learn more at the links below:​

English | 繁體中文 / Chinese (​Traditional) | Русский / Russian  | Español / Spanish | Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese

On July 1, the new Department of Early Learning and Care (DELC) is expanding eligibility for affordable child care through the Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) program. Families will now be able to receive cash assistance from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and get help paying for child care from ERDC at the same time. 
  • For families currently receiving TANF: Families can ask their family coach for ERDC to help pay for child care. This will not change the family's TANF benefit. The TANF child care program will end because ERDC will provide more flexible child care assistance.
  • For families currently participating ​in ERDC: Families may be able to get TANF if they have a job loss, are on unpaid leave from work, or they meet TANF income requirements. Child care assistance can continue while families receive TANF.
  • What this means for families new to benefits: Families can apply for cash and child care assistance at the same time.

Also, there will be fewer reasons for child care assistance to end within 12 months. Cases will no longer close if a family cannot find a provider within three months. ERDC benefits will continue if a caretaker loses their job or stops attending school. Learn more at the links below:

English | 繁體中文 / Chinese (Traditional) | Русский / Russian  | Español / Spanish | Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese

Working families or students may qualify for help with child care costs, including registration fees.

Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) is a subsidy program. This means some families may still pay part of the child care cost. This is called a copayment (copay).

What ODHS pa​ys

  • ODHS pays a portion of the child care bill, paid directly to the provider.
  • There is a maximum amount ODHS will pay a child care provider.​

What families pay

  • The copay amount depends on family size and income.​
  • Families make a copay each month, paid directly to the provider.​ Copays range from $0-130 per month.
  • Note: If the provider charges more than the maximum amount ODHS pays, families must cover the additional cost.

Copay Information  


To ​get ERDC benefits:

  • You must be an Oregon resident.
  • You must be employed or attending school​.
  • In a two-parent family, both parents must be working or attending school. ​There may be exceptions if a non-working parent can't provide child care because of a medical or mental health condition, or if supervised contact is required by Child Welfare.
  • When you first apply, your income can't be above 200% of the federal poverty level. 
  • You must have a qualifying child or children.
    ​​Qualifying children are:
    • Under 13 years old who need care
    • 13 to 17 years old who need care because of special circumstances
    • U.S. citizens or qualifying non-citizens
  • You must need child care to stay employed or attend school. For a two-parent family, this means both parents must have all or part of their work or school ​hours overlap.
  • Your child care provider must be ​listed and ​approved​ by ODHS. ​

How t​o apply

There are several ways to apply for child care assistance. After you apply, ​you will have an interview with an eligibility worker.

Apply in person at a local office. During the pandemic, please call before coming in.​

 Fill out a paper application

English  |  English Large Print  |  Español / Spanish  |  Spanish Large Print  |  اللغةالعربية / Arabic  |  မြန်မာစာ / Burmese  |  繁體中文 / Chinese​नेपाली / Nepali  |  Русский / Russian  |  Af Soomali / Somali  |  Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese

W​hen you are done:

If you have a problem opening the application form, please conta​ct ​us.​

Need help to apply? Contact 211info by phone, text or email.

ERDC income limits

Initial​​ income limits

These are the income limits for when you first apply for ERDC.​​

Effective 3/1/2023 (200% of federal poverty level)​​

Number​ in family group​​​​
Gross monthly income limit
​8 or more

Ongoing and​ exit income limits

These are the income limits after you apply and when you renew your ERDC. You must earn under these amounts to be eligible for ERDC. ​

​Effective 3/1/2023 (250% of federal poverty level or 85% of state median income, whichever is higher)

​Number in family group​​
​Gross monthly income limit​
​8 or above​$10,534​

Families who are not yet working may be able to receive child care assistance through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. Call your local office​ to see if you are eligible.

Billing and payments​​

T​he ODHS Direct Pay Unit (DPU) coordinates billing and payments. They also process billing and listing forms. Please reach out with ​concerns or questions.​

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

By phone: 800-699-9074

By email:

See Setting up Child Care​ for information on ​making payments.

Materials for families

​Early Learning Tools:
Vroom – Brain Building

​Vroom is an early learning plan. It provides tips and tools for parents with young children through age 5. These resources help you build a strong foundation and stimulate your child's brain so they are ready to learn.

Child care licensing​

Oregon's Early Learning Division Office of Child Care (OCC) is the agency that licenses child care programs. They do background checks on licensed providers, handle complaints, check for compliance, provide training and more. Visit their website to learn more about licensed child care.​​

Some types of providers are not required to be licensed by the Early L​earning Division. They are called license exempt providers. ​ODHS requires training, site visits​, background checks​ and drinking water lead ​testing​ for license exempt providers, with some exceptions. Visit the Provider Information page for more information.

All providers must be listed and appr​oved by ODHS​ in order to receive payment.​