Each certified adult in a foster parent or relative caregiver home is required to have 30 hours of training during each two year certification cycle. All hours of Foundations training during the first two years of certification are credited to these 30 hours.
Together with your certifier, a two year training plan will be developed based on your interests; training relevant to the age and gender of children for whom you typically provide care, including any unique issues related to mental and medical health, educational or developmental needs.
Fifty percent of your training credits should be acquired through face to face or interactive training; this includes:
The remaining 50% of your continuing training can be obtained through independent study, which includes reading books, articles, viewing videos and DVDs or listening to audio recordings.
Awarding training hours
Classroom and distance training
3 hour course = 3 training credits (credits are based on the length of the training).
Library Materials and Videos
- 100-170 pages = 1.5 hour
- 171-275 pages = 3 hours
- 276 – 375 pages = 4 hours
- Over 375 = 5 hours
- Over 475 = 6 hours
DVDs & Videos:
- 75 – 90 minutes = 1.5 hour
- 91 – 120 minutes = 2 hours
- Over 120 hours = 3 hours
Counseling and Therapeutic services
Count the time spent in part and involved in the session.
Support Groups, Mentoring, Advisory Committees, Associations and Peer Gatherings.
A maximum of 12 credited training hours for any 24 month period can be awarded for attending support group related activities or meetings as follows:
- Structured Support Group: Maximum of 3 training credits
- Unstructured Support Group: Maximum of 2 training credits
- Mentoring Between Foster or Relative Providers: Maximum of 1.5 training credits
- Foster Parent Advisory Committee or local Foster Parent Association meeting: 1 training credit
- Social Gatherings of Foster and Relative Providers: .5 training credit