Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

SNAP Food Benefits

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides monthly food benefits to help you buy healthy food.

This program helps people pay for groceries, learn about nutrition, and get job training and support. SNAP helps you stretch your food budget, but may not meet all your food needs. Visit our food resources page if you need more help getting food.

Apply, renew or report changesGet a SNAP benefit estimate Log in to ONE

This program is for individuals ​and families that:

  • Live in Oregon
  • Meet income guidelines (see below​ on this page​). ​Your house, car or money in the bank don't usually count against your eligibility. 

​If you are 18 to 52​ with an able-bodied-adult without dependents (ABAWD) status, there may be time limits for how long you can get SNAP benefits.

Need help to see if you qualify?

  • You can ​call 211 or contact 211info if you need help.
  • Older adults and people with disabilities can get the best help by contacting ​the Oregon Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC). Call 855-673-2372 ​or visit the ADRC website.

College and Higher Education Students

​Students ages 18 to 49 enrolled in higher education more than half-time are usually only eligible for SNAP if they meet a special condition (called an exemption). Higher education may include college, university, trade and​​​ technical schools. The institution the student is attending decides what is considered ‘​half-time’ enrollment. 

In Oregon, students of higher education may meet an exemption if they are:

  • Working or self-employed more than 20 hours per week​ (includes internships, externships, graduate assistantships and graduate fellowships)
  • Participating in federal or state funded work study
  • Receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Receiving Unemployment Compensation
  • In school because of employer-sponsored training
  • Participating in an Employment Department Training Program
  • Enrolled in a program or course of study that will lead to employment
  • Responsible for the care of a child under age 6 in a one- or two-parent home
  • Responsible for the care of a child who is between ages 6 and 12 in a one- or two-parent home, and ODHS has determined that adequate child care is not available to allow the student to attend class or work at least 20 hours a week
  • A single parent responsible for the care of a child under age 12

Students who meet an exemption must also meet all other SNAP eligibility requirements.

Older Adults​​

  • ​Adults aged 60 or older can have their out-of-pocket medical costs counted to offset their income, which could qualify them for more benefits. Proof of these medical costs is required. Learn more about out-of-pocket medical expenses.
  • Adults aged 65 or older that live in Clackamas, Columbia, Multnomah and Washington Counties can receive their SNAP benefits as a direct deposit, check or on an EBT card. This can make using benefits easier.
  • For older adults who may have trouble getting to the store, a trusted person is allowed to purchase food on their behalf using their SNAP benefits. An alternate payee form can be filled out and turned in with an application or at any time.
  • Older adults may also have their full shelter costs included when determining their SNAP benefits. 

Eligible Non-citizens ​

Non-citizens eligible for SNAP include:

  • ​​Refugees, Cuban/Haitian Entrants, Asylees, Amerasian immigrants, individuals with deportation or removal withheld, Hmong or Highland Laotians, parolees for at least one-year, conditional entrants, North American Indians born in Canada and members of federally recognized Tribes​
  • Certain victims of human trafficking and their children or parents
  • Honorably discharged U.S. veterans, spouses and unmarried dependent children
  • Non-citizens on active duty in the U.S. military service, spouses and unmarried dependent children
  • Non-citizens paroled into the U.S. for at least one year
  • Lawful Permanent Resident in the U.S. for 5 years
  • Lawful Permanent Resident with certain disability benefits
  • Lawful Permanent Resident under age 18

Participating ​in SNAP does not count toward public charge.

​Applying for or receiving SNAP will not affect the participants ability to:

  • Remain in the U.S.
  • Get Lawful Permanent Resident Status
  • Keep Lawful Permanent Resident Status
  • Become a U.S. citizen

​Ineligible non-citizens can apply for SNAP on behalf of eligible immigrants or U.S. citizens in their family, even if they do not want to apply for benefits for themselves. This would not affect their immigration status.

​People in family
  • These amounts are effective from October 2022 through September 2023.
  • Monthly amounts go up by $857 for each additional person. ​
  • Income guidelines in other states may be different.

​You can apply online, by phone or in person at a local o​ffice​. When you apply for SNAP, you can also apply for other benefits like cash assistance and Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid).

​Apply now

  • After you apply, we will schedule an appointment with you called an "intake appointment." You can do this in person or over the phone. ​​
  • If you are approved for SNAP, you will get an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EB​T​) card in the mail. This is also called an Oregon Trail Card.
  • The State will deposit benefits onto your EBT​ card every month. The amount depends on your income, how many people are in your family and other factors.
  • You can use your SNAP benefits to buy food at grocery stores and farmers markets that accept SNAP EBT. 
  • There are things you can't buy with your EBT card, like alcohol, tobacco and non-food items. 
  • Even if you aren't eligible for help paying for groceries, you may be approved for other SNAP benefits like nutrition education or job support and training​.​
  • When it's time for you to ​renew your benefits​, you will get a renewal packet or notice sent to you. This happens 45 days before your renewal is due. You may also get a phone call to remind you to renew.​
  • If your circumstances change, you may need to report the change​ to us.​ ​
  • If you are between 18 and 49 years old and don't have a child under 18 on your SNAP case, you may need ​to meet work-related requirements​ in order to get SNAP for longer than three months. 

​If your SNAP food benefits are stolen from your EBT card, or if you lose food purchased with SNAP during a storm, flooding, fire or power outage, we may be able to replace your benefits. 

How to request replacement benefits

Double Up Food Bucks is a program that can help you stretch your SNAP dollars when you buy healthy foods. 

You can get up to $20 in extra SNAP benefits to get more fresh fruits and veggies at participating farmers markets, grocery stores and through farm shares (CSAs). 

Learn more at

Resources for SNAP families

Medical, food, cash and child care benefitsBenefits questionsONE Applicant PortalEBT card helpPandemic EBTNutrition education (SNAP-ed)Employment and trainingMore food resources

Other programs you may qualify for

Parenting support

Family Support and Connections is an optional program that provides parenting support for families with low-income.

Learn about Family Support and Connections

Help paying for child care

The Department of Early Learning and Care (DELC) offers several programs to help families lower their child care costs.

Learn about child care programs and see if you are eligible

Discounted energy bills

The Income-Qualified Bill Discount program through PGE offers a monthly discount of up to 25% off your energy bill.

Visit the PGE website to find out if you qualify and apply

The Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) does not discriminate against anyone. This means that ODHS will help all who qualify and will not treat anyone differently. See the USDA nondiscrimination statement for more information.