This course is mandatory and must be taken within six months of hire for any individual who has been designated as a new building official for a municipality.
The Building Official Certification course is designed for individuals seeking certification from the State of Oregon as a building official, and who meet the following two requirements:
- Individual is employed by a municipality and has been appointed to conduct building official or assistant building official duties as needed by the municipality.
- Individual is currently in negotiations with a municipality for employment as a building official or assistant building official. Verification may be required.
Individuals who don't meet one of these two requirements will not receive approval to take the course until they do as the course is required within six months of the hire or appointment date.
The four-day course (two-days per week over a two-week time frame) will review the history of Oregon’s unique regulatory system and address governing laws, program administration, roles and responsibilities, customer service in a regulatory environment, licensing and other topics. The course is taught through an interactive format between the instructor and students. It is only taught in Salem and not available online.
- This is a four-day course (eight hours per day).
- This course must be attended live at BCD’s inspector training classroom in Salem.
- Course seating is limited to 10 students.
- Individuals who perform building official duties are required by state law to take this course. (OAR 918-098-1025(3)). This includes assistant building officials or inspection staff who have been designated to perform building official duties in the absence of the building official.
- Course materials are provided by the division on day one of the course.
Four days, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Building Codes Division
1535 Edgewater Street NW, CR C
Salem, OR 97304
(Not available online)