Skip to main content

Clinical Social Work Associate Information

Related CSWA Information


​The CSWA is the first step to a clinical license in Oregon. Whether you are right out of school with a fresh Masters Degree, or you have started your process in another state, the CSWA is your path to licensure. If you have already obtained 3500 hours of supervised clinical experience, 2000 hours of direct client hours, 100 hours of supervision (at least 50 in individual supervision) and have been supervised for no less than 24 months, you may qualify for the LCSW. 

Supervisor responsibility

​Supervisor will need to complete the plan of supervision. Supervision and clinical practice can not begin until the application is approved.

Approved LCSW Supervisors

LCSW supervisors are required to be current in the Oregon Rules and Laws Exam and Continuing Educaton specific to clinical supervision. The list found below will provide approved LCSW Supervisors. An Oregon licensed Psychiatrist or Psychologist who has met the before mentioned requirements may also supervise for up to half of the CSWA supervision requirements. ​A list of approved phsycholgists and psychiatrists is available by emailing the board office.

Approved LCSW supervisors
Supervisor responsibility

​Maintain supervision requirements within 5 years.


The CSWA will get permission to take the clinical exam automatically when final hours are approved, and the status becomes a CANDIDATE. If a CSWA desires to take the exam BEFORE completing all requirements one may request permission after recording and submitting 75 hours of supervision and being licensed for 2 years. No permission will be granted before the 2 year requirement. Any previous licensure, or licensure in another district may be counted. ​The form to request permission is available on the forms tab located on the top bar of the website, and below on this page.  More information reagrding the ASWB Clinical exam can be found on the Exams page, or by reviewing the ASWB website located on our resources page.

CSWA Early Exam Request
Supervisor responsibility

​Understand the process, and allow the CSWA to decide if he/she is ready to take the test. Do not encourage an early exam request if the CSWA is not intending or ready to either schedule the exam or take the pretest from the ASWB website.

CSWA Inactive Request

​CSWA must go inactive if not practicing under the approved plan of supervision for an extended period of time. 

Inactive Request

Supervisor responsibility

​A six month evalution report will need to be submitted through the last day worked prior to the leave of absense. Complete the evaluation and submit to the board.

CSWA Renewal

​Renewals are annually during your birth month. Renew online​, until June 30, 2020. Renewal fee is $66. Expiration date is 30 days after your renewal date, $50 late fee does apply. 

Supervisor responsibility

​Ensure the CSWA is current at all times.

LCSW Qualifications

​In order to complete the CSWA Program and qualify for the LCSW you must have:

  • 3500 Clinical practice hours
  • 2000 of those hours must be direct client
  • 100 hours of supervision, of which at least 50 must be individual
  • a minimum of 24 months of supervised practice
  • Passed the ASWB clinical exam


Supervisor responsibility

​Understand the LCSW qualifications, and assist the CSWA to obtain them.

Plan of Supervision

A CSWA is not a license to practice clinical social work without having an approved plan of supervision on file. If the CSWA is to go on a leave of absence for three weeks or more, the certificate must be placed on inactive status, by notifying the board in writing of said leave. A 6 month evaluation report will need to be submitted for hours prior to leave. The six month reporting period will begin again once the CSWA is reactivated.​ Supervision must occur a minimum of twice per month for at least one hour. One session for 2 hours does not meet this requirement. There is no maximum of supervision as long as the supervision meets the criteria in the rules and laws listed below. Not meeting the minimum requirement of supervision may result in board action, or loss of hours. 

An initial plan is approved upon approval of the application. If there are any changes to the employer or clinical supervisor, a CSWA plan change packet must be submitted. If possible, submit plan change packet prior to the change occurring. It is important to remember that if the CSWA has left the approved employer, or stopped seeing the approved supervisor, not only will hours not count, but practicing would be out of compliance and may result in board action. 

A CSWA may only practice clinical social work outside of the approved plan of supervision if provided a QMHP or QMHA by the employer. Under a QMHP/QMHA one may practice clinically but no hours will count until plan of supervision is approved. A CSWA may practice non clinical social work, go through on site orientation or shadow other clinicians, but may not see clients or act in a clinical capacity until the approval is given. 

A plan of supervision could take up to 2-3 weeks to approve. You may always call the board office if you have any questions. 

Supervisor responsibility

​All supervisors need to sign the plan change document except any supervisor being removed. 

The administrative supervisor needs to read, and acknowledge that they are the representative to the agency that is able to support the plan, and encourage the CSWA to remain in compliance with supervision requirements. If there is any reason the CSWA is unable to continue the plan due to agency policy or procedures, the administrative supervisor needs to contact the board office. 

Both individual and group clinical supervisors need to read and acknowledge their responsibilities. All clinical supervisors need to be familiar with Division 20 of our rules and laws listed below, and the CSWA process. You are signing that you will monitor the CSWA's progress, and meet the supervision requirements within the plan. All clinical supervisors need to contact the board office in writing immediately, if supervision is interrupted or terminated. This goes for employment termination, and leave of absence typically 3 weeks or longer, when it would not be feasible to meet twice per month and have content to discuss.

Six Month Evaluation

Six month evaluations are to be completed by each supervisor on the plan. Evaluations will include a reporting start date and an end date. Hours are to be recorded for the time only during that time. Any extended length of time without supervision should not be recorded. See request for inactive status for assistance with this.

It is the responsibility of both the CSWA and the Supervisor to submit the evaluation in a timely manner. Please submit within 30 days from the end date. Allow 6-8 weeks for processing. You will receive an approval letter by email once hours are approved and posted.​


6 month evaluation report
Supervisor responsibility
Each evaluation question is to be completed each reporting period by the supervisor, not the CSWA, and should not be the same as the previous​ report. All observations are to be from the reporting period referenced. If you have any concerns, please not them on the second page as the appropriate answer and include a brief description of the concerns and any additional feedback.


It is the responsibilty of both the CSWA and the Supervisor to submit the evaluation in a timely manner. Please submit within 30 days from the end date. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a limit to how many supervisors, or plans I can have?

​No. There is no limit to how you develop your plan, or how many supervisors you have. The rules do state, that you must be with each supervisor for a minimum of six months before submitting a plan change.Each plan change must be approved by the board, before it comes into effect. Hours will not be back dated to the date you change your supervisors. The plan approval date is the start date.

My potential employer is asking me to get a temporary CSWA..

​The board can issue a temporary CSWA to an individual who meets all requirements except the clinical exam to allow them to take it and transition into the LCSW. In rare cases, we can issue the temporary CSWA if an employer requires it to interview;  BUT be sure to let them know that you MAY NOT PRACTICE under a temporary. The approved plan of supervision is required to begin practice. The temporary application is approved at one board meeting, then the plan will need to go to another. In this situation, it will take you longer to get to work, then if you have the plan of supervision from the start. The application process is the same minus the employer and plan of supervision. All fees are due at the time the temporary is applied for, and will expire after 6 months. The temporary CSWA does not qualify for renewal or extension. In the event your temporary CSWA expires, you will need to reapply and new fees will be due.

When do I renew my CSWA?

​Your CSWA renewal date is the last day of your birth month. You renew annually by that date to avoid a late fee. 30 days after your renewal date your CSWA  will lapse.

Is my CSWA a license to practice?

​No. The CSWA is a supervisory certification, and not a license to practice. Your ability to legally practice clinical social work comes from your approved plan of supervision and your supervisor.  

I am taking a leave of absence, Do I need to notify the board?

​Yes. Any leave of absence of three weeks or more, requires that you notify the board staff. You may send an email or written letter, but it must be in writing. Include when you are leaving, when  you intend on returning if known, and reason for leave. If your supervisor is also taking a leave, you will need to notify the board to get a temporary supervisor approved. You may not continue to be in active status if you are not reporting to work, or if you are not being supervised by your approved supervisor. 

All leaves of absences result in an inactive status for the time of leave.

What happens if I leave my employer?

If you leave your approved employer, you must notify the board immediately. Notify us in writing (via mail, email, or fax). In most places the CSWA will be placed on inactive status until a new plan with a new employer is approved.​

How do I reactivate my CSWA?

​A plan change or plan update will reactivate the CSWA and allow you to return to practice. 

A plan change packet is to be submitted if there were any changes to your employment or supervision during your leave. A plan change requires approval before starting back to clinical practice.

A plan update is used to reactivate a CSWA when there were no changes to the employer or supervision. Since there is no changes to your approved plan, you may return to clinical practice as soon as you submit the plan update. The plan update form is provided once you contact the board staff.

Will I receive reminders when it is time to renew?

Yes. We will send an email renewal notice, and one reminder prior to your renewal date. You will recieve one more before your CSWA expiration date. ​

What happens if my CSWA lapses?

​If you do not complee your renewal by the expiration date, you must cease clinical proactice and stop using the title of Social Worker. If you continue to clinically practice after your expiration date, you will be ineligible to renew and will need to reapply. Be sure to submit all hours prior to your expiration by six month evaluation form.

If you cease your practice on your expiration date  you will have one year from the renewal date(not expration date) to renew by paper renewal form and paying the late fee of $50. 

Is a six month evaluation report the same as a renewal?

No. You renew once per year and pay your annual registration fee. A six month evaluation report is completed by your supervisisor every six months and evaluates your performance. There is no fee for an evaluation report.​

Will I receive reminders when it is time to submit a six month evaluation?

​No. Six month evaluation reports are submitted every six months on a rotating reporting period. A plan change request may change these dates, and reporting end date. Your evaluiation will be approved by the board staff and a next report end date will be provided on the approval letter.

What is the next step after completing my hours, and passing the ASWB exam?

​Once the board has approved your hours, the completion of the CSWA plan, and we have recieved confirmation that you have passed the ASWB exam, we will email you the LCSW Initial License Form. This form will complete the transition from CSWA to LCSW. Complete the form and submit it with the $260 initial license fee.  Please allow 2 weeks to process the licensure once we recieve the form back. Until you have been assignedthe LCSW, you must remain under supervision as you are still practicing as a CSWA until you have your LCSW issued.

As a CSWA on a school social work schedule, do I need to go inactive for the summer?

​Yes. Any time you are not actively practicing under your plan of supervision for an extended period of time, it is considered a leave of absense. If you obtain a summer job practicing clinical social work to continue your experience and hours, you must submit a plan change packet prior to starting the job. We would suggest you submit the plan as a temporary change, or seasonal change, so that you are not removing the school you plan to return to in the fall.  For the CSWA plan purposed, and extended period of time is about three weeks or more. To request inactive, you may email the board office, or submit the online form titled CSWA Inactive Status Request.

Related Rules

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how