Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

CCB License

How To Get a License

Generally, Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed. 

Examples of work that does require a license include:

  • ​Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete​
  • Heating ​
    Air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree servicing
  • Home inspection
  • ​​Repair of attached appliances (ORS 701.005 (5)(a))
  • Manufactured dwelling installation
  • Land development
  • Handyman
  • Chimney inspection/sweeps
  • Most construction and repair services

​Examples of work that does not require a license include:

  • ​​Gutter cleaning
  • Power and pressure washing for the purpose of cleaning (siding, sidewalks, etc.)
  • Debris clean up (yard or construction site)
  • ​Qualified real estate property managers managing a building under a property management agreement. To qualify, the property manager must:
    • ​​​​​Be licensed by the Oregon Real Estate Agency.
    • ​​​​​​Manage rental real estate.
    • Manage the particular building under a property management agreement.
    • The exemption does not eliminate the need for licensed tradespersons or a lead-based paint renovator’s certification.​​

You can find more information by viewing our Laws & Rules​ webpage.
​The application process may take up to 8 weeks to complete.  Submit your application as early as possible!  Errors on your application can cause additional delays, so double-check your work before sending it to the CCB or contact us directly to ask questions.  You can streamline the process by:
  • Closely following the instructions on the application form, 
  • Submit a complete application, 
  • Include all required additional documents with your initial application.​

​9 S​​teps to Li​ce​​nsure:​ 

  1. ​​Complete the 16-hour pre-license training and take the exam. Select a Responsible Managing Individual to complete the training and exam. Find a list of approved pre-license educators here. Once you have taken the training, you will be directed to take the test from your pre-license training provider.
  2. Dete​rmine your endorsement type. Learn more information about endorsement and structure types.
  3. File your corporation, LLC, and/or assumed business name. File with the Oregon Secretary of State, Corporation Division​. For more information about setting up your business, click here.
  4. Submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s). Find the proper bond amount here​.
  5. Provide proof of general liability in​surance in the required amount. Make sure it names Construction Contractors Board as the Certificate Holder.
  6. Obtain workers compensation insurance if you will be hiring employees. For more information about workers compensation, talk to an insurance agent, visit the Oregon Workers Compensation Division or call (503) 947-7810. Learn more about who is exempt and non-exempt​.
  7. Obtain other employer account numbers. You may need state and federal ta​x numbers, for example. For information, contact the Oregon Department of Revenue​​​ at (503) 378-4988 or the Internal Revenue Service​ at 1-800-356-4222.
  8. Complete an application. Click to access all application types. 
  9. Submit your application. ​A complete application includes:
    • ​​Bond with Power of Attorney (Do not submit separately)
    • Insurance Certificate (Do not submit separately)
    • $325 fee for a two-year license.

FREE guide to becoming a licensed contractor

​​Required pre-license tr​​​aining​

To obtain a CCB license, you must:
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Complete at least 16 hours of pre-license training from an approved pre-license education provider and pass the Oregon exam.
Who should take the training and exam?
The person who takes the training and passes the test is the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) for the license. The RMI must be an owner or employee of the business and manage or supervise its construction activities. 

Where can I find a pre-license training provider?
  • Take the 16-hour training from any one of our approved pre-license training providers.
  • Once you complete training, your training provider will alert the testing vendor, PSI, so you can schedule your exam.
About the Oregon exam
  • The exam is based on the Oregon version of the NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management (2nd edition). The cost of the manual may be included in your fee for the training so check with the training provider. You can also purchase the manual through NASCLA​. 
    • A Spanish translation of the manual is available, as well.
  • Once you finish pre-license training, you will receive directions from PSI on how to register and pay for the exam. If you do not hear from PSI within a few days, contact your pre-license provider.
  • You can use the manual during the open-book exam. You cannot take loose paper into the testing facility. The reference manual may be highlighted, underlined and tabbed prior to the examination session. Handwritten notes may be made in the book. Do not write in the manual during the exam
  • There are 80 multiple choice questions; a passing score is 70 percent (56 correct answers). You have three hours to complete the test, and the cost is $60.​
  • The PSI candidate bulletin​ gives you more information about test locations and procedures. 
  • ​Veterans: You may be able to obtain reimbursement for the costs of any tests you take for this license. Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-888-442-4551; or Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-828-8801 for more information.
After the Oregon Exam
  • You will get your test score immediately after completing the test.
  • If you pass: Include your test score report along with a completed CCB application, fee, original surety bond and certificate of liability coverage.
  • ​If you fail: You can reschedule, pay the fee and test again
Already passed the NASCLA commercial exam?
Applicants who have passed the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors do not have to complete the 16-hour pre-license training, but they do need to pass the Oregon exam covering laws, rules and business practices. To become eligible to sit for the Oregon exam, applicants must provide a transcript of their NASCLA Accredited exam passage to the CCB.
  • ​Get your NASCLA transcript​, and 
  • Email your transcript to​.  
Key Deadlines​
  • You must apply for your CCB license within 24 months of passing the test. 
  • ​​If you are already a contractor and your CCB license lapses for more than 24 months, you must retake training and pass the test again. ​

Choose your license application: ​​​

​Right endorsement for the right pr​oject

Contractors must carry the proper endorsement for the type of structures they work on. In selecting the correct endorsement, you will need to know such information as whether you will just work on residential or commercial structures, or whether you will work on both.

If you are endorsed as a residential specialty contractor, for example, and decide to bid on a large commercial project, you must change your license to carry both endorsements.

Endorsement chart ​​​​

This chart​​​​​​​​ ​can help you select the right endorsement for your work!

Changing endorsements?​​

​Special Residential Endorsements​

The Legislature created new types of licenses for people who work in the construction industry but with a limited scope of work. People with these endorsements do not have the same bond, insurance and education requirements as other construction contractors. The following endorsements are limited in scope:

Home Inspector Services​​

  • Prelicense training/test: Owner or employee must be a certified home inspector
  • Scope of work: Home inspection services ONLY
  • Bond: $15,000
  • Insurance: $100,000 per occurrence

Locksmith Services​​​

  • Prelicense training/test: Owner or employee must be a certified locksmith
  • Scope of work: Locksmith services ONLY
  • Bond: $15,000
  • Insurance: $100,000 per occurrence

Home Services​​

  • Prelicense training/test: None
  • Scope of work: Home warranty services ONLY
  • Bond: $15,000
  • Insurance: $100,000 per occurrence

​Home Energy Performance Score​

  • Prelicense training/test: Owner or employee must be a certified energy assessor
  • Scope of work: Home energy assessor services ONLY
  • Bond: $15,000
  • Insurance: $100,000 per occurrence

​Restoration Services​

  • Prelicense training/test: None
  • Scope of work: Restoration services ONLY
  • Bond: $15,000
  • Insurance: $100,000 per occurrence
​Workers compensation insurance is required if your business has employees. Commercial contractors must have workers compensation insurance.

What is workers compensation insurance?​​​​

Workers compensation insurance covers employees who are injured on the job. It pays for medical treatment, lost wages, disability and re-employment help, if needed.

Exempt vs. Non-Exempt​​​​​

Ordinarily, exempt contractors are businesses that do not have employees. These businesses do not need workers compensation insurance. Non-exempt contractors are businesses that hire or lease employees. These businesses need workers compensation insurance. (Leased employees are usually insured through the worker leasing company that provides their services.)

In some cases, family-owned companies that do not hire employees are exempt contractors even if multiple family members work for the company. For example:
  • Partnerships where all the partners are family members are exempt.
  • Corporations where all the corporate officers are family members are exempt.
  • Limited liability companies where all the members are family members are exempt.
"Family members" refers to parents, spouses, sisters, brothers, daughters, sons, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law and grandchildren.

Leased Workers ​​​

Worker leasing is a way for contractors to administer their workforce. In return for a fee, worker leasing companies provide workers and handle their payroll, employment taxes and assessments. They may also offer workers compensation insurance, retirement options and medical benefits. 

Worker leasing companies often provide workers compensation for both the leased workers and the contractor’s employees. Alternatively, the contractor may provide coverage for both.  In either case, one policy must cover all workers. 

Worker leasing companies are licensed by the Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS)​. ​

Temporary Staffing​​

In contrast, a temporary service provider provides workers “on a temporary basis.”  A temporary service provider is not licensed by DCBS. Temporary workers are for special situations, such as:   
  • Employee absences or leaves
  • Professional skill shortages
  • Seasonal workloads
  • Special assignments or projects
Temporary staffing requires written documentation that says how long the work will last and describes the special situation that requires temporary help. Without written documentation, all workers are presumed to be leased workers.

A contractor using temporary s​​taffing may have its own workers compensation policy to cover its regular employees. The temporary staffing provider usually provides workers compensation for the temporary workers. 

Reporting Workers Compensation Status​​

Ordinarily, non-exempt contractors must supply all the following information when applying for a license:
  • Workers compensation insurance carrier name and policy number or WCD compliance number (if self-insured)
  • Oregon Employment Department and Oregon Department of Revenue combined business identification number (BIN)
  • Internal Revenue Service employer number or federal identification number (EIN)
Nonexempt contractors that use leased workers (and have no other reporting obligations) do not need to supply the BIN or EIN.  The worker leasing company will handle the payroll reporting for the workers. 

The contractor may supply its own worker’s compensation insurance policy number or that of the leasing company, depending on which is providing coverage.

​Change Workers Compensation Status with the CCB

(503) 947-7815

Small Business Ombudsman for Workers Compensation
David Waki
(503) 378-4209
​Oregon law requires contractors to carry general liability insurance. The minimum amount of the policy is determined by your license endorsement.  

What is Liability Insurance?​​​

Liability insurance is a contract between a contractor and an insurance company to reimburse a third party (such as a consumer) for property damage or personal injury loss caused by the contractor. 

An example of a loss might be a contractor’s ladder falling and breaking a window. General liability insurance does not provide reimbursement to a third party for poor work or construction defects. It may provide coverage for damage caused by faulty work or construction defects. 

A Certificate of Insurance that shows proof of a valid public liability and property damage insurance policy is required. This insurance must be carried throughout the licensing period. If you do not buy this insurance, the CCB could suspend your license or fine you. The insurance must cover the work that is subject to ORS 701.

Finding Liability Insurance​​​

Public (general) liability and property damage insurance is available from many insurance companies at varying prices. Here are some tips for finding coverage:
  • Ask your insurance agent (home or auto) if they know someone who specializes in contractor insurance.
  • Talk to other contractors in your line of work about who they use and like.
  • Do an Internet search for contractor liability coverage in your community.
  • Check with your trade association for referrals.

Submitting your Insurance​​​

  • The Certificate of Insurance must be issued in the full legal name of the sole proprietor; full legal names of all partners in a partnership or joint venture; the full legal names of all partners in an LLP and the name of the LLP; the name of the corporation, LLC, or trust. JV’s, LLP’s, Corp LLC’s and trusts must match the name filed at the Oregon Corporation Division. Limited partnerships should contact the CCB at 503-378-4621 for special instructions.
  • The certificate holder must be listed as the Construction Contractors Board, PO Box 14140, Salem, OR 97309.
  • The amount of the insurance must be at least equal to or higher than the insurance amounts in the endorsement chart below. Only one Certificate of Insurance is required, even for a dual endorsement.
  • The certificate of insurance must include a statement that products and completed operations coverage is included.​
  • Copies of the actual policy, billings, receipts, statements, etc. cannot be accepted in lieu of a Certificate of Insurance.​
  • Before submitting a Certificate of Insurance, verify that the insurance company is listed with the State of Oregon Insurance Division. If the insurance carried is not acceptable in Oregon, the licensing process will be delayed.
The Certificate of Insurance MUST accompany the application. Please do not submit the Certificate of Insurance separately, as it will delay the licensing process.

Sample Insurance Certificate
View this sample cer​tificate to understand the legal requirements and what CCB is looking for. 

How much liability insurance do I need?​​​​​​

Residential contractors
Residential General Contractor:                   $500,000 per occurrence
Residential Specialty Contractor:                 $300,000 per occurrence
Residential Limited Contractor:                   $100,000 per occurrence 
Residential Developer:                                 $500,000 per occurrence 
Home Services Contractor:                          $100,000 per occurrence
Residential Locksmith Services Contractor: $100,000 per occurrence
Home Inspector Services Contractor:          $100,000 per occurrence 
Home Performance Score Contractor:         $100,000 per occurrence
Commercial contractors
Commercial General Contractor, Level 1:    $2,000,000 aggregate 
Commercial General Contractor, Level 2:    $1,000,000 aggregate 
Commercial Specialty Contractor, Level 1:  $1,000,000 aggregate 
Commercial Specialty Contractor, Level 2:  $500,000 per occurrence
Commercial Developer:                               $500,000 per occurrence

​Oregon law requires contractors to carry surety bonds. The amount is determined by your license endorsement.

What is a Surety Bond?​​​

​A surety bond is a promise by a bonding company to pay all or a portion of a CCB final order if a contractor fails to pay the order in order to protect consumers. 

A property owner can file a CCB complaint against a contractor for breach of contract or improper work. If the CCB orders a contractor to pay money to the complainant, the contractor must pay as ordered. If the contractor does not do so, the bonding company will pay the money owed, up to the amount of the bond.  

A Construction Contractors Board residential or commercial bond is required. The type depends on the contractor's endorsement. Contractors who are endorsed to do both residential and commercial work must have both a residential and a commercial surety bond.


The bond(s) MUST accompany the application. Please do not submit the bond(s) separately, as it will delay the issuance of the license.

CCB bonds are available from many bond and insurance companies at varying prices. Search websites online or call your insurance agent for assistance. 

Bond Requirements

  • ​The bond(s) must be issued on a CCB bond form. No other bond form will be accepted. If your bond company does not have the CCB bond forms, they should call the CCB at (503) 378-4621.
  • The bond(s) must be issued in the full legal name of the sole proprietor; all partners full legal names in a partnership or joint venture (JV); the full legal names of all partners in an LLP and the name of the LLP; the name of the corporation, LLC or trust. JV’s, LLP’s, Corp’s, LLC’s and trusts must match the name filed at the Oregon Corporation Division.
  • Limited partnerships should contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 for special instructions.
  • The bond(s) must have the original signature of the bond company’s attorney-in-fact.
  • If a power of attorney form is attached to the bond, do not remove it.
  • The bond(s) is not valid until it is submitted to and is put into effect by the CCB. The bond(s) must be submitted to the CCB no later than 60 days from the date the bond(s) was signed by the bond company or it is no longer valid.
  • All bonds must be continuous until canceled.

​Bond Form​s (for agents)​

​Residential bonds
  • Residential general contractor: $25,000
  • Residential specialty contractor: $20,000
  • Residential limited contractor:  $15,000
  • Residential developer:  $25,000 
  • Home services contractor: $15,000
  • Residential locksmith services contractor: $15,000 
  • Home inspector services contractor: $15,000 
  • Home performance score contractor: $15,000
Commercial bonds
  • Commercial General Contractor Level 1: $80,000 
  • Commercial General Contractor Level 2: $25,000
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 1: $55,000 
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 2: $25,000 
  • Commercial Developer: $25,000

  • CCB License Exam (paid directly to exam provider): $60 
  • CCB Initial Application: $325
  • CCB License Renewal (every two years): $325
  • CCB License Endorsement Change: $20
  • CCB License Inactivation: $20
  • CCB License Reactivation: $20
  • ​​​Home Energy Assessor (HEA) Certification Application: $100
  • HEA Renewal (every year): $100
  • Home Inspector (OCHI) Application Certification: $150
  • OCHI Renewal (every two years): $150
  • Lead-Based Paint Application: $50
  • Lead-Based Paint Renewal (every year): $50
  • Locksmith Exam: $60
  • Locksmith Application: $60
  • Locksmith Initial Certification: $60​
  • Locksmith R​enewal (every two years): $60​

Most endorsements are required to have a Responsible Managing Individual (RMI). The RMI may be an owner, officer, partner, or employee of the business applying for the license. The RMI must have management or supervisory authority over the construction activities of the business. The RMI may only be listed on one license at a time as the RMI employee.

To qualify to be the RMI, the individual must:

  • Complete the 16-hour pre-license training and pass the Oregon contractor exam, OR
  • Pass the NASCLA commercial contractor national exam and pass the Oregon contractor exam, OR
  • Provide one or more Oregon license numbers that the owner, officer, member, or RMI has been continuously associated with during the time period beginning before July 1, 2000, until the date of their application, with no lapse of more than 24 months.
  • Not be listed as an RMI employee on another license

The RMI must also complete a background check after turning in the application to the agency.

Important Note: Under Oregon law, if a contractor fails to pay its obligations and incurs construction-related debt, the RMI as well as the business owners will be prevented from obtaining a new CCB license until the debt has been satisfied.

What happens if the RMI leaves the business?

If the RMI leaves the business, the business must notify the CCB in writing immediately. The business will need to submit an RMI change form to appoint a qualified individual as the new RMI. Since the qualification process does take some time, you should also designate a temporary RMI and submit a temporary RMI form. This temporary designation is only valid for a maximum of 14 days.

Businesses may want to consider having more than one RMI to ensure there are no work interruptions if there is an unexpected loss of an RMI.

Which licenses aren’t required to have an RMI?

The following endorsements do not need an RMI: Residential Developer, Residential Locksmith Services Contractor, Home Inspector Services Contractor, Home Services Contractor, Home Energy Performance Score Contractor, or Residential Restoration Contractor applicant.​​​​

Person using computer

Renew & Update Your License

​Contractor login page

  • ​​If you do not have an online account, go to the Contractor login page and register as a new user!
  • If you have already registered, go to the Contractor login page and login to access your account.  You can complete your online renewal form, submit payment information, and update your business information all from within your online account!​

Online Contractor Services Account

​We respect y​our time.  To prevent unexpected delays, renew online today!

​CCB Renewal​​​​

  • ​​​If you do not have an online account, go to the Contractor login page and register as a new user!
  • If you have already registered, go to the Contractor login​ page and login to access your account.  You can complete your online renewal form and submit payment within your online account! 

​Still need help?  Follow this tutorial to learn how to set up an online services account and renew your license. ​​​

LBPR Renewal​​

​​The CCB will mail your renewal form approximately eight weeks before your expiration date.  
  • ​You must have a current Renovation, Repair and Paint (RRP) certificate and Active CCB number. 
  • ​​Don't forget to take a refresher course before your current five-year certificate expires. 
    • ​Refresher courses are four hours. 
    • The Oregon Health Authority maintains a training calendar and list of accredited training providers​. 
  • ​​The annual license renewal fee is $50.
The ​United State Environmental Protection Agency​​ (EPA) provides additional information and resources about lead-paint regulations and education. 

Certificate awarded

Request Records and License Certifications

Public Reco​​rds Requests​

License Certification - Records Request​ form allows you to request a Certification of your license history with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board to be sent to another State Board or Agency.  This form also allows you to request the public records of a file related to any CCB program.​

Contractor Mail​​ing List​

Contractor mailing lists contain information such as business name, address, phone number, CCB license number, expiration date, Responsible Managing Individual (RMI), SICs, and bond and insurance information.  This list is now available through a self-service portal that may be accessed on demand at no cost to you. 

The Open Data Instructional Guide is a How-To Guide that will show you step-by-step how to access and download the information as an Excel spreadsheet.

​View the CCB public records rules in OAR 812, Division 1 - Requests for Information; Charges for Records​

Keep up on important CCB licensing info!

button - CCB email sign up.jpg

FREE guide to becoming a licensed contractor.
Print Guide to becoming a contractor

Request mailed copy of Guide to becoming a contractor

Request Spanish Guide to becoming a contractor