Do you need to request an exception?
You can request an exception from ODHS if you believe you have a need for services or items above identified service limits. If you received a Notification of Planned Action (SDS 0947) that says your services are denied, reduced, suspended or terminated, you can request a hearing.
You can request an exception in the following ways:
- Make your request verbally to your service coordinator or personal agent.
- Make your request directly to the Office of Developmental Disabilities Services using Individual Request for Exception.
Contact us if you need an alternate format.
After you finish your exception request you can:
- Give it to your service coordinator or personal agent to send to us.
- Send your request directly to the Office of Developmental Disabilities Services:
Attn: Exceptions Coordinator
500 Summer St NE E-09
Salem, Oregon 97301
ODDS will review request within two weeks
Once an exception request is received it will be reviewed by someone at ODDS who knows about the service or items you requested.
ODDS will talk to your Services Coordinator or Personal Agent about your needs and ask for information about your request. ODDS will always ask for a copy of your assessment and Individual Service Plan.
ODDS will make a decision within two weeks of getting the request unless ODDS needs additional information. When ODDS needs additional information, ODDS will tell you and your Services Coordinator or Personal Agent in an email.
Process once decision is made
When ODDS agrees with your request ODDS will contact you and your Service Coordinator or Personal Agent with a letter to tell you the decision. Your Services Coordinator or Personal Agent can help you get the service or item added to your ISP. Your Services Coordinator or Personal Agent can help you start the process to receive the item or service.
When ODDS disagrees with your request ODDS will contact you and your Service Coordinator or Personal Agent to tell you the decision. If ODDS disagrees and that disagreement means the item or service is being:
ODDS will send you a Notification of Planned Action (SDS0947). The Notification of Planned Action will tell you:
- What service is being denied, reduced, suspended, or terminated
- The date the action will take effect
- The reason for the action
- What Oregon Administrative Rule applies to the decision
If you disagree with the decision in the Notification of Planned Action you can request a hearing.