Skip to the main content of the page

Plan & Pay for College

Oregon High school Equivalency Program logoEarn a General Education Development (GED) Certificate

The General Education Development (GED) program provides individuals with an opportunity to earn a high school equivalency credential, in place of a high school diploma. Earning a GED credential can help individuals improve their chances to find work, increase earnings over their lifetime and/or pursue additional education through community colleges, universities or training programs.

The Oregon GED program is Oregon's high school equivalency program, administered by the HECC Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development (CCWD). The HECC works in partnership with GED Testin​g Service (GEDTS)​, the 17 community colleges and other state, community, county and local partners to provide GED preparation and testing to Oregonians across the state. For additional information, visit Oregon’s GED Program website.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Students​

Preparation, Study and Taking the Test 

Congratulations on taking the first step towards achieving your goal.  The below information is intended to help introduce you to the process.
​You must be 18 years of age or older; or
You must be 16 – 17 years old and going through the GED Option Program​​
​No, you ​do not have to be a resident of Oregon.
  • ​First, you will want to sign up for a free GED account at​.  

  • Take some time to review the website.  You will have access to free practice tests, study materials, links to prep & instruction sites and more.

  • Find the prep and instruction center that best fits your needs.​​

  • The cost of the first test is $38 per test for a total of $152.

  • Retakes are possible. Pease see the website for fee and waiting period information.

Requests for GED Certificate Records

The State of Oregon no longer holds GED certificates in house.  All certificates are housed by GED Testing Services. ​
You will need to log into your account at ​to obtain a copy.
Please call 1-888-906-4031 for assistance.  Make sure to have ready the last four digits of your social security number, any other last names you may have used and date of birth.​
Third Party Verifications can be completed by requesting a new GED Credentialing Parchment Exchange Account.  You can also call the third party vendor helpline at 1-888-662-0874.​