*The Board does not pre-approve CE courses or providers.
Your CE "reporting period" is the 24-month period from your license renewal in one even-numbered year to the next license renewal in the subsequent even-numbered year. For example, if your birth month is June, your CEU reporting period would be from July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2016. You would report when you renew your license in June, 2016.
If you received your initial license less than 2 years before CEUs are due, please contact the Board to find out the number of hours required.
LPCs and LMFTs must complete at least 40 clock hours of continuing education during each 24-month reporting period, which must include:
At the time of annual renewal on even-numbered years, you must certify that you have met the continuing education requirements. You do this by listing a summary of continuing education courses, or courses and supervision, which you have completed. You may report CEUs when you renew your license online.
You may obtain the clock hours in a variety of ways:
- Attending college or university courses
- Seminars, workshops, conferences and/or trainings.
- Distance learning
Some methods have limits on the number of hours you may report in a reporting period.
Education/training experiences must be in one or more of the following program areas:
- Counseling or marital and family therapy theory and techniques
- Human development and family studies
- Social and cultural foundations
- The helping relationship
- Group dynamics
- Lifestyle and career development
- DSM diagnosis
- Research and evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethics
- Professional supervision training
- Disability and life transitions
- Substance abuse
- Diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders
Courses in personal growth, computers, administration, management, marketing, or other business classes will NOT count.
Documentation showing completion may include:
- Transcripts from accredited education institution;
- Dated certificates with number of CEUs granted (originals or copies) documenting completion of training;
- Program/activity descriptions, including written verification of professional services, copies of published works or other proof of publication, letter from president/director of organization in which professional activity was conducted.
- Signed statement of professional supervision by the individual providing the supervision.
Each reporting year, the Board conducts an audit to check compliance of its continuing education requirements. The audit process includes:
- random selection of 10% of LPCs and LMFTs for audit;
- notification of selected licensees by mail, including request for copies of documentation; review of documentation for compliance and accuracy of summary list submitted with license renewal;
IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 10% SELECTED FOR AUDIT, YOU MUST PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION OF YOUR TRAINING WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR RENEWAL.
Failure to complete or document the required CE hours may result in non-renewal, civil penalty, or possible license suspension. You have a grace period to submit fees and other necessary papers, but there is no grace period for completing the continuing education requirements.
The Board may grant exemptions in whole or in part, including extension of deadlines, for documented serious illness or disability. Contact the Board office for details. The waiver request forms are available on the board's website.
On October 10, 2016, the non-practicing
Continuing Education Waiver (pursuant to former OAR 833-080-0021(3)) was
repealed and replaced by the inactive status.
Licensees who were previously granted
this type of CE waiver will need to make a request to the Board to change to
inactive status at their next renewal. Licensees who do not make this change and remain on active status will be
subject to the continuing education requirements.