Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Transit Benches and Shelters

Bus shelter advertisingTransit shelters and benches are structures erected and maintained at official stops for a mass transit district, transportation district or any other public transportation agency to protect their riders from the weather at transit stops.

The rules carried out by the Outdoor Advertising Program apply solely to the placement of outdoor advertising signs visible from a state highway.

Prior to approving any permit for benches or shelters, approval from the local jurisdiction is required to confirm the bench or shelter is legally located.

Permits granted for transit advertising do not grant any authority to:

  • Construct or place a bench or shelter; or
  • Maintain any existing bench or shelter.

Oregon Revised Statute

  • 377.700 - 377.845 and 377.992 - Motorist Information Signs and Penalties (Oregon Motorist Information Act)
    • This section includes permitting requirements and exemptions

Oregon Administrative Rule

  • 734-059 - Signs, General Provisions
    • The section provides definitions of key terms, costs to obtain permits and business licenses, as well as penalties for related violations.
  • 734-060 - Signs
    • This section includes application process information and exemption rules.
  • 734-063 - Relocating Outdoor Advertising Signs on a Scenic Byway
    • Rules included in this section are intended to ensure the state complies with federal scenic byway laws.
  • 734-065 - Advertising Signs Attached to Bus Shelters
    • This section of Oregon rule reviews the specifications and requirements associated with transit shelter signage.

​These permits are for placing signs on existing public transit benches or shelters. See the application packets to view the requirements.

Technically we don't issue any brand new permits. Instead, we reuse the permits that existed as of May 31, 2007, when the new law was passed. We call these preexisting permits. We issue updated permits for new signs and new locations.

When one of these permits is not being used, records are kept so that it can be used again. In this state they gather "relocation credits," which can be bought and sold.

You will need a preexisting permit or relocation credit to apply for this type of permit.

A list of owners with relocation credits is included in the application packet. Contact us before purchasing.

The permit you buy limits the size of your sign and how far away from its original location you may build.

Once you own that permit or credit, you apply to this office to get an updated permit to build a sign at a new site.


Contact the Outdoor Advertising Sign Program

4040 Fairview Industrial Drive, MS 2
Salem, Oregon 97302
Phone: 971-375-8148
Fax: 503-986-3625

Program Contacts

Phone: 971-375-8148
Phone: 503-559-5295

Resources and Related Content