Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Household Goods Moving

Apply to be a Household Goods Mover

A certificate of authority from the Oregon Department of Transportation is required for persons or businesses providing for-hire transportation of household goods between two points in Oregon. Our Commerce and Compliance Division staff can help you determine whether a for-hire certificate is needed.

To start the application process:
  1. Complete an Application and Instructions: Oregon Intrastate Certificate to Transport Household Goods (form 9057).
  2. Submit your completed application to Commerce and Compliance Division by email​ or mail.
Household Goods Application Package H (includes forms 9075, 9057, 9745 and 9175)​​
Rules and Regulations
   825.180 — fees and refunds
   825.240 — local cartage activities
   825.247 — penalty and rules
   825.326 — motor carrier account and consumer protection
OAR 740-060-0055 — additional fees
OAR 740-055-0320 — reporting annual financial information

Moving? Be an informed consumer.

When the origin and destination of a move are within Oregon, moving company rates and services are regulated by the ODOT's Commerce and Compliance Division. Below is information and resources that can help you be an informed consumer before, during and after your household move.

Oregon movers are required to give every customer the Moving Household Goods in Oregon General Information Bulletin which provides the following advice for household moving.
  • Be flexible.
  • Choose carefully. If your move is from point to point within Oregon, only use a mover certified by ODOT.
    • Ask the mover to provide its certificate number.
  • Get a written, signed estimate and keep it.
  • Be ready when the mover arrives.
  • Accompany the mover to make up an inventory of your items to be moved.
  • Understand and agree with the bill of lading before you sign it.
  • Before scheduling your move, require the mover to explain limits of liability and your options for loss and damage protection.
  • Be at the destination at the time agreed upon for delivery.
  • Check the condition of your property before you sign a delivery receipt.
Make an Inventory List
Movers are not required to provide an inventory list of goods moved in local hourly moves. You may want to prepare your own inventory and count the items and boxes as they are loaded and unloaded. Discuss this with the mover in advance because a successful loss or damage claim settlement may depend on it.
Protect Your Household Goods
  • See the Household Goods Bulletin above for insurance options and value information for your move.
  • See ready-to-assemble furniture on this page for additional valuation information.
  • Other valuation protection options may be offered by the mover, if approved by the Oregon Department of Transportation.
  • Be sure the bill of lading indicates the option you have chosen before you sign it.
  • You must choose an option. If your mover fails to have you select an option, Replacement Cost Protection will be selected at your expense.
  • Caution: If the actual value of your goods is higher than the amount you declare on the bill of lading, you may NOT be fully covered. If you are unsure of the value of your goods, check your homeowner´s policy or call your insurance agent.
Beware of Unlicensed Movers
If you choose an unlicensed mover, intentionally or unintentionally, there may be little or no protection for loss or damage to your property. ODOT occasionally receives complaints from people who hired unlicensed movers, including complaints that a mover is virtually holding hostage a person's household goods until they pay more money.
Problems with interstate moves?
Household goods complaints can be reported to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
  • Call a toll free hotline 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238).
  • Staff are available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern Time.
  • File a complaint with FMCSA if you experience trouble with a mover.
Problems with an Intrastate move? 
Household goods complaints can be reported to the Commerce and Compliance Division. 
  • Call us at 503-779-9083. 
  • Email a complaint to Commerce and Compliance Division. 
  • Complete an Intrastate Household Goods Complaint (form 9976). Print and fax to 503-373-7952. Staff are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.​

​Movers can have authority tailored for specific commodities or special services such as piano moving.

Piano Movers
Full listing information for these businesses is on our Authorized Movers List.
Big Al's Specialty Movers, Inc.
JJ&C Movers, LLC
K and D Piano Moving
Michelle´s Piano Moving & Services Co.
West Coast Piano Moving and Storage, LLC

Pack and loaders provide a specialized labor service for those who want to rent a truck and move themselves but not do all the packing and heavy lifting. Oregon HB 2817 specifies that pack and loaders are exempt from motor carrier regulations if:

  • They do not provide or operate a vehicle for moving household goods.
  • Act as an agent for someone who does provide or operate the vehicle.
Note: Watch out for businesses that publicly advertise a service to pack and load household goods, then offer to provide a truck when you call. Oregon law allows a person to offer pack and load services, but it doesn´t allow that person to provide the vehicle used in the move.

Liability for Damage
Moving companies have limited liability for damage to ready-to-assemble furniture because this kind of furniture does not stand up to the normal strains of moving and needs to be fully disassembled prior to a move to avoid loose joints, chipping and breakage.

If ready-to-assemble furniture is moved in its assembled state, it will be moved at your risk and at a maximum liability on the part of the carrier of $75 per article. If you can present proof of purchase, the maximum liability is 25% of the purchase price or $75, whichever is greater.

Review your Furniture
Make sure it is worth moving. In many cases, the cost of repair can exceed the value of this kind of furniture. Ready-to-assemble furniture includes new and second hand items that:

  • You assembled or a store assembled for you.
  • Has components NOT bordered by solid wood, veneer plywood or metal.
  • Has structural fasteners secured into cam locks or into any material other than solid wood, veneer plywood or metal.
Furniture Transportation
Decide as soon as possible how you will have your furniture transported. Two options for moving your furniture are:
  1. Disassemble the furniture yourself.
    • Completely remove and carefully place all fasteners, pins, cams, handles, wafers and dowels in a clearly labeled box.
    • Your mover will then move these items at the valuation you choose.
  2. Arrange for your mover to disassemble and reassemble the furniture for you at additional cost.
    • Your mover may do this or arrange to hire a 3rd party that specializes in disassembling and reassembling this type of furniture.
    • Check with your mover to see if they provide this kind of service.

 Authorized Household Good Movers

Contact Us

Oregon Department of Transportation
Commerce and Compliance Division
455 Airport Road SE, Building A
Salem, OR 97301
Hours of Operation (Pacific Time)
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Investigation and Compliance Manager

Investigator / Auditor