Skip to main content

Landlord & Tenant Resources

What's New?

Are you a Landlord?

On Monday, December 21st, the Oregon Legislature  enacted an eviction moratorium and  established the Landlord Compensation Fund (HB 4401). The Legislature allocated $200 million in rent assistance to support tenants and landlords, which includes $150 million for the Landlord Compensation Fund. OHCS will be developing program materials in the coming weeks as we prepare to launch the Landlord Compensation Fund. 

Are you a renter?
Here’s what you need to know about Oregon’s eviction moratorium: 

Governor Kate Brown and the Oregon Legislature have made it unlawful for landlords to evict people who can’t afford their rent. This rule will last until June 30, 2021. Renters must sign and return a form to their landlord if they can’t afford their rent. By January 1st, that form will be available from the Oregon Judicial Branch. The Oregon Law Center has the form and more information in English and Spanish

If you can’t afford your rent, contact your local community action agency or call or text 2-1-1 for assistance. 

New Rules

Oregon Housing and Community Services has partnered with the Oregon State Bar to help landlords and tenants understand recent changes to Oregon laws. 

Landlords materials are available below in the following languages: 
Printed copies of these pamphlets can be ordered in quantities of 25 through the Oregon State Bar's online catalog. There is no charge for the first order, up to 100 copies, of each language. If you need larger quantities, please contact the Oregon State Bar here.

Oregon State Bar (OSB) Resources: 

OSB TV: Landlord/Tenant Overview and Resources
The videos “Landlord/Tenant Overview and Resources,” “Oregon's New Rent Control Law” and “Termination Notices” are available below in the Legal Q&A Video section. Versions of the same videos in languages other than English (Español, Русский, 中文) are available here.

Legal Q&A: An Update to Landlord/Tenant Law in Oregon
Streaming video of our recent 90-minute seminar “Legal Q&A: An Update to Landlord/Tenant Law in Oregon.” is available here.

The following links are provided by the Oregon State Bar. These informational pages are designed to help answer some of your questions about landlord and tenant law. The information provided  does not cover every situation and should not be used as a substitute for specific legal advice. Please also note that there have been many recent changes to this area of law in Oregon, and several of the topics are currently under review by our lawyer volunteers. Each topic below includes a date so you can see when it was last reviewed.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how