Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Housing Health & Safety

OHCS wants to assist families living in healthy and safe housing. We have listed several resources for those living in rental housing below. Many resources are available if you need help with finding solutions to your living condition. 

If you're not sure who's involved in rental housing, learn more on our roles and responsibilities page.

If there is an emergency crisis, always call 9-1-1.

Every rented unit in Oregon must meet certain standards for safety, health and cleanliness. These are Oregon's "habitability" standards. If your home fails to meet these legal standards, then your home's fair rental value is less than what you have agreed to pay.  Your landlord may owe you money for every month that passes without fixing the problems.​

Learn more: The Oregon State Bar rental housing habitability standards web page.

Our living environments affect our health in some way including spending time in:
  • Indoors in homes
  • Schools
  • Workplaces
  • Neighborhoods
  • Cities
  • Natural Environments
Everyone can take action to protect themselves and their families from health hazards in our environment.

Learn more: The Oregon Health Authority has many resources available on their website for "Healthy Homes and Neighborhoods."

You may have a specific concern about a public health risk in your housing environment. and your landlord has not responded with a satisfactory solution. You can contact your local public health department for guidance.​

Find your local Public Health Department.

Are you a resident living in a project-based Section 8 housing unit? Has your landlord refused to fix a health or safety problem in your home?

Call the Oregon Health and Safety Hotline 1-800-453-5511
Option 4 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (except holidays)

Leave a detailed message about the problem and someone will get back to you within two (2) business days.

If there is an emergency - life-threatening illness or injury, a fire or criminal activity - CALL 9-1-1.

Are you a resident living in multifamily HUD Housing?

The Multifamily Housing Complaint Line supports HUD's enforcement efforts. They do this by empowering tenants and community residents to act as HUD's eyes and ears. This helps to ensure safe, decent and sanitary housing.

HUD's Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse provides a Housing Complaint line as a service. This enables residents of HUD insured and assisted properties to report complaints. Complaints to property managers can include:
  • Poor maintenance
  • Dangers to health and safety
  • Mismanagement
  • Fraud
Call 1-800-MULTI-70 (1-800-685-8470).

Callers can speak to MFHC information specialists who speak both English and Spanish. They will help you resolve your problem. MFHC staff explain how to effectively report problems to building management. They answer questions about residents' rights. They may refer callers to local Public Housing Agencies and other organizations, if needed. If a complaint is serious enough to bring to HUD's attention, MFHC information specialists write up a report on the problem. They will then fax or email it to the appropriate HUD Field Office for action.

The Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity handles complaints of housing discrimination.​ Call 1-800-669-9777.

External Link Disclaimer: This page contains links that take you off OHCS's website. We strive to ensure related content is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, OHCS is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.