Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Full On-Premises, Commercial

Food service is a requirement of this license. The food service rule can be found here.

  • All businesses must make at least five different meals available at all times and in all areas where alcoholic beverage service is available.
  • Must have a food preparation area and equipment adequate to prepare, cook, and serve food to meet the food service requirements of the Commission.
  • “Meal” means a food item, or combination of food items, prepared or cooked on the licensed premises that the Commission determines is a main course and is a serving of food sufficient to satisfy the appetite of one individual.  Food items that are appetizers, snacks, and desserts do not qualify as a meal.  Examples include, but are not limited to, popcorn, peanuts, chips, a serving of food that is not sufficient to satisfy the appetite of one individual, and food items offered by the licensee as other than a meal.
  • “Different meals” means meals that the Commission determines differ in their primary ingredients or method of preparation. For example, a turkey sandwich differs from a salami sandwich, a beef burger differs from a turkey burger, a pepperoni pizza differs from a cheese pizza, and fried chicken differs from baked chicken. Different sizes of the same item are not considered different under this rule. For example, a large cheese pizza is not different from a small cheese pizza and a large hot dog is not different from a small hot dog.

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) are adopted, repealed and amended by the Oregon legislature and signed into law by the Governor.  
Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) are implemented by the OLCC. These regulations are proposed by, adopted, repealed and amended by the OLCC.

ORS 471

  • See section .175 for the Full On-Premises Sales license

OAR 845, Division 6

  • See subsection 0459 for definitions for food service
  • See subsection 0460 for food service at Commercial Establishments
  • See subsection 0466 for general food service requirements


  • You must have an address in Oregon where you will do business. 
  • You must currently own, lease, or rent the business property or you must be in the process of purchasing, leasing, or renting the property. You may make any purchase, lease, or rent agreement contingent on obtaining a liquor license. 
  • Determine whether your business will be a sole proprietorship or some form of legal entity (such as a corporation or limited liability company). If you are a legal entity you must be registered to do business in Oregon with the Oregon Secretary of State Corporation Division
  • If you will offer lottery games (including video poker) contact the Oregon Lottery Commission
  • If you will make, warehouse, or sell at retail beer, wine or distilled spirits for drinking on site, the Oregon Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Division may require a license. 

Important Update: Local Government Recommendation Requirement

What is changing?
Effective immediately, we are accepting applications with either:

  • valid proof of submission of the OLCC Liquor License Application to the local government, or
  • the final recommendation from the local government

What is valid proof of submission from the local government?
Each local government processes applications in a unique way per its city or county ordinances. Your proof of submission MUST include these key pieces of information:

  • Date the local government received the application
  • Trade Name of the business
  • Premises street address (where the business will be located)
  • Name of the local government (city or county name)
  • That the submission is for a Liquor License

How do I submit my application to the OLCC?
Once you receive proof of submission from your local government, you may submit that proof along with your complete application to:

NOTE: For tracking purposes, please submit all materials at the same time, in the same email.

How do I find my local government?
To find the correct local government for your application, we recommend searching the internet for “Your City or County” + OLCC Liquor License. This will typically return a search result that will help guide you to the appropriate office in your jurisdiction.

Common departments for processing LGB recommendations include Planning & Development, Civic Life, or the Sheriff’s Office; however, each local government is different.

Liquor License Applicants within the City of Portland, click here: City of Portland.

What types of applications need a recommendation from the local government?
Local government recommendation is clearly explained on the Liquor License Application. This is a four-page application that is used for many situations, including, but not limited to New Outlets, Change of Ownership, and Change of Location.

Other license actions and Out-of-State permits do not require recommendation from the local government. If you do not see any requirement for local government recommendation on your application, you can ignore these instructions.

After completing the liquor license application and obtaining the recommendation from the local government:

Note: All submissions must be as a PDF file. Do not include any license fees at this time.

If you need help completing your application, email

Liquor liability insurance is required for any business that allows on-premises consumption of alcohol. The OLCC will not issue a Temporary Letter of Authority to Operate or final license without proof of insurance.

The most common proof of insurance is an insurance certificate or ACORD form from your insurance agent. The form must show all of the following:

  • All applicant(s) as the named insured
  • Business address (not just the mailing address)
  • Liquor liability insurance
  • Coverage of at least $300,000 of liquor liability insurance
  • Coverage must be current 
  • OLCC is listed as a certificate holder​

Applicants for a Full On-Premises Sales license must: 

  • Read Law Orientation for Retailers
  • Submit the Law Orientation Affirmation
  • Take and pass an Alcohol Server Education course: If you are applying as a legal entity (corporation or LLC) you must choose a person (server education designee) to take and pass the course on behalf of the legal entity. The server education designee must be a person with the authority to set, implement or change the licensee's practices for selling and serving alcoholic beverages (usually an owner or a manager).

A Temporary Use of an Annual License (TUAL) allows a Full On-Premises Sales licensee to:

  • Sell and serve distilled spirits, malt beverages, wine, and cider for consumption on the special event licensed premises

Fee: For license days October 1, 2019 and after, the fee is $10 per license day.

Temporary Use of an Annual License 

Please submit your complete application to

If you need help completing your application, or have additional questions, please e-mail​