Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Marijuana Worker Permits

Persons employed in the OLCC-licensed recreational marijuana industry, including licensees, must have a valid Marijuana Worker Permit.

This includes anyone working at a business with any of the following OLCC licenses:

  • Laboratory
  • Producers
  • Processors
  • Retailers
  • Wholesalers

Individuals must be 21 years of age or older to be eligible for a marijuana worker permit.


Please note: Once an application has been approved, the applicant will be notified that the permit application is in Ready for Pay status and will have 30 days to pay the permit fee per OAR 845-025-5520 (4). If payment is not received the application shall be considered incomplete and inactivated. Once inactivated, the worker permit application is not eligible to be used as meeting the above condition to work for an OLCC recreational marijuana licensed business. The applicant will need to reapply.

Should additional information to process a worker permit application be needed in order to complete the application, the applicant will have 30 days from the date of OLCC's request to provide additional information and/or complete any outstanding action request corrections. Failure to complete the corrections or provide the requested additional information within 30 days from the request shall result in the application being considered incomplete and will be inactivated. Once inactivated, the worker permit application is not eligible to be used as meeting the above condition to work for an OLCC recreational marijuana licensed business. The applicant will need to reapply.

For more information, email

Applying for Your Marijuana Worker Permit

Choose the appropriate workbook: English or Spanish

A minimum score of 70% is needed to pass the test.  Individuals who pass the test will be issued a Certificate of Completion with a Certificate Number*.

*You will need this to upload to your application.

This is NOT your marijuana worker permit.

Click Here to Take the Test

  1. Register for a Worker Permit account.
    • Licensees must create a NEW Username for their worker permit that is different from their license application.
    • You may use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD as your test account.
  2. Once you register for a Worker Permit account, you will receive an email from NICUSA with a link to verify your identity. You must activate this link within 24 hours of receipt.
  3. Answer all questions completely and accurately.
  4. Upload your valid photo ID and Certificate of Completion.
     - Acceptable forms of photo ID are a driver license or ID card issued by a U.S. state, or a passport.
  5. Please ensure that your information is correct and upto-date. You will receive communications at the email address provided from NICUSA and the OLCC regarding your account. We will not collect any fees until your permit is ready to be issued.

Click Here to Apply

You will receive an email from NICUSA when your application has met the requirements and your background check has been successfully completed. The email will tell you there has been a change of status. You do not need to contact an administrator. Simply log in, click on "Pay for my Application by Credit Card" and follow the prompts.  

After receipt of your permit payment, you will be able to download and print your Marijuana Worker Permit by clicking on the Print My Worker Permit button on your dashboard. The OLCC does not send your permit in the mail.


Renewing Your Marijuana Worker Permit

  1. Log in to the worker permit system at​
  2. Click on the “Permits” tab, and then select “Renew” so the system will open a renewal application for you.
  3. You will need to provide a copy of your ID / Driver’s license –or—Passport
  4. You do NOT need to take the test again, please use your original certificate from your first application.
  5. ​Once you have submitted your renewal, your application will be placed in the renewal que and will be assigned in the order it was received.​

You do not need to take the worker permit test again.  If you do not have a copy of your original Certificate of Training, please contact to request a copy.​

You will be alerted to a change in your application status via the email your account is registered under.​

As long as the renewal application has been completed properly, there should not be interruption in Metrc Access.  

Once a renewal application has been successfully submitted, the system sends the following auto-generated email:

We have received your renewal application.  If your application is not approved prior to expiration of your permit, you are LEGAL to work with your expired permit until action is taken on your renewal a​pplication​

​Your renewed worker permit is good for five years.

​​​The OLCC may only deny or revoke a renewal by going through the Administrative Hearings process.  OAR 845-025-5540 Marijuana Worker Permit Denial Criteria contains information about the denial process.  The OLCC must issue you a Notice of Denial in accordance with ORS Chapter 183.​

In the event that your renewal takes longer than 90 days, you may continue working with your expired permit until the OLCC has approved or denied your renewal application.

  • If your home address has changed, simply update it in the renewal application.
  • ​If your legal name has changed, please submit your renewal as directed.  Once it is reviewed, an action request will be placed on your account, and you will be able to verify your name change at that time.

If you remember your username and password, you can log into your account and update the email address in your profile settings.

If you do not remember your username or password, you will need to contact us at to have the password reset manually. You can log into your account using the new password, and update your email address in your profile settings.

Frequently Asked Questions

All employees who perform work on behalf of an OLCC licensed producer, processor, wholesaler, or retailer, including the licensees working in a licensed business or managing information in CTS must possess a marijuana worker permit if they participate in any of the following:

  • Possession, production, propagation, processing, securing or selling of marijuana items at the premises for which the license has been issued;
  • Recording of the possession, production, propagation, processing, securing or selling of marijuana items at the premises for which the license has been issued;
  • The verification of any document described in ORS 475B.170; or
  • The direct supervision of a person described above.

The worker permit fee is $100 and is only due upon approval.

Taking the online test is just the first step. To complete the process you need to apply for your worker permit online. Click on Register for a Worker Permit account and follow the directions that follow.

You may use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD as you did for the testing site if you would like, however the website for the online test and the application need to registered for separately.


No. Please email your USERNAME to from the email address you used to register your account. You will receive an email response within 24 hours during regular business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm. Please allow for the next business day if you submit your request after 5pm on Fridays.

Do not create an additional account. Log in to your account and follow the directions listed in the email.

The OLCC will contact you when your application has been processed and let you know it is time to pay. You will receive an email indicating a change in status, from NICUSA, at the email address you provided upon registration.

No. Worker Permits are available to be printed from your account dashboard after payment. Log in, click on Print my Worker Permit and print it off. This is what a Recreational Marijuana Worker Permit should look like:

Denial criteria is located in the OLCC Division 25 rules, OAR 845-025-5540.

Yes, a separate background check is required for the worker permit application. This will be processed directly by OLCC. You will be contacted by an email from if additional information is needed.

All marijuana workers will take the same test, this will allow for you to change jobs within the industry if you so desire.

Yes, all employees, even seasonal employees need a worker permit.

Worker permits are only required for employees of businesses licensed by the OLCC. However, some medical marijuana businesses may ask you to get a worker permit.


For more information about Marijuana Worker Permits, please email