Skip to main content

Special Event Licensing

Do you need to license your Special Event?

A liquor license is needed at special events where:

  • Alcohol will be sold.
  • Alcohol is available (but not being sold), and you are charging or accepting donations for admission, or where payment is required to attend the event.

A liquor license is not needed at special events where: 

  • You are making alcohol available, but there is no payment or purchase required, and no donations of money are accepted, for alcohol, or for entry/admission, or for any other product or service. An example is a wedding reception where you make alcohol available, but you don't require payment or purchase and don't accept donations of money.

New Requirement for All Special Event License Applicants Based On Risk Level Framework
All applicants for a special event license must complete the Special Event Supplement in addition to the appropriate special event license application.

Fact Sheet: Recreational Marijuana - Consumption, Gifting, and Giveaways

Letter to Licensees

As of July 1, 2015, recreational marijuana became legal in Oregon. There are limits to the law; marijuana is not allowed to be consumed in a public place.

Measure 91 defines a public place as a general place where the public has access. This includes all special events with OLCC licenses.

Please be aware that as a licensee, you could be subject to administrative sanctions for allowing public consumption of marijuana at your licensed premises.

If you need further clarification of a public place, please call 503-872-6366.

A Temporary Sales License allows the sale of distilled sprits, malt beverages, wine, and cider for drinking within a licensed area. It also allows for the sale of manufacturer-sealed containers of malt beverages, wine, and cider, for drinking off-site of the licensed area. 


Auctioning and raffling alcohol are considered both a sale of alcohol and offering alcohol as a prize.
A nonprofit or charitable organization registered as such with the State of Oregon may obtain written approval from the OLCC to conduct an auction or raffle without a license to sell factory-sealed containers of wine, malt beverage (beer), cider, and distilled liquor also commonly known as distilled spirits, hard liquor, and hard alcohol) for consumption off the event premises.
Auction and Raffle Application and Information

Please contact the OLCC office that covers the city or county where your event will be located.  
OLCC Office Locations

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how