Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Wholesale Malt Beverage and Wine License

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) are adopted, repealed and amended by the Oregon legislature and signed into law by the Governor.  
Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) are implemented by the OLCC. These regulations are proposed by, adopted, repealed and amended by the OLCC.

ORS 471

  • See section .001 for definitions of Malt Beverage and Wine
  • See section .023 for the definition of Cider
  • See section .155 for Privilege Tax Bond requirement
  • See section .235 for the Wholesale Malt Beverage and Wine license

ORS 473

Wine, Cider and Malt Beverage Privilege Tax

Privilege Tax
You are responsible for reporting to the OLCC the amount of any malt beverages, wine and cider you import into Oregon.  You may be required to pay a tax on these malt beverages, wine and cider.
Privilege Tax Bond
You will be required to maintain a privilege tax bond with the OLCC.  More information is available at:

  • Contact the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to determine what you need to do to comply with Federal laws. 
  • You must have an address in Oregon where you will do business. 
  • You must currently own, lease, or rent the business property or you must be in the process of purchasing, leasing, or renting the property. You may make any purchase, lease, or rent agreement contingent on obtaining a liquor license. 
  • Determine whether your business will be a sole proprietorship or some form of legal entity (such as a corporation or limited liability company). If you are a legal entity you must be registered to do business in Oregon with the Oregon Secretary of State Corporation Division
  • If you will offer lottery games (including video poker) contact the Oregon Lottery Commission
  • If you will make, warehouse, or sell at retail beer or wine for drinking on site, the Oregon Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Division may require a license. 

Prior to submitting the liquor license application to the OLCC, send the completed application to the local government for the premises street address to obtain a recommendation.

  • If the premises street address is within a city’s limits, the local government is the city.
  • If the premises street address is not within a city’s limits, the local government is the county.
Contact your city or county to make sure you understand their process.

After completing the liquor license application and obtaining the recommendation from the local government:

Note: Do not include any license fees at this time.

If you need help completing your application, email

Please submit your complete application to

If you need help completing your application, or have additional questions, please e-mail​