Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Frequently Asked Questions


A pound is 16 ounces, or 453.592 grams.

The OLCC keeps an updated list of all licensed retail stores on our website.

There is also a map so you can easily find locations around the state.

No. Marijuana will be distributed by those who hold an OLCC recreational marijuana license.

There is no quota for the number of retail licenses we will be issuing at this time.

A customer cannot purchase more than the following amounts at any one time or within one day:

  • Two ounces of usable marijuana;
  • 16 ounces of a cannabinoid product in solid form;
  • 72 fluid ounces of a cannabinoid product in liquid form;
  • 10 grams of cannabinoid extracts or concentrates;
  • 10 grams of cannabinoid products intended for inhalation;
  • Four immature marijuana plants; and
  • 10 marijuana seeds.

OLCC retailers selling marijuana for medical purposes can sell medical marijuana to OMMP patients 18 years of age or older.

Medical grade means marijuana items that have a higher THC concentration limit compared to items sold to recreational customers. For example a recreational customer can buy a package of edibles that contains up to 50 mg of THC and each serving size in that package can be up to 5mg of THC. A medical grade edible sold to an OMMP registered patient can contain up to 100 mg of THC per package and there is no maximum serving size for medical grade edibles


FAQs about Hemp in the OLCC Market

FAQs about Hemp in the General Market

Marijuana Worker Permits

All employees who perform work on behalf of an OLCC licensed producer, processor, wholesaler, or retailer, including the licensees working in a licensed business or managing information in CTS must possess a marijuana worker permit if they participate in any of the following:

  • Possession, production, propagation, processing, securing or selling of marijuana items at the premises for which the license has been issued;
  • Recording of the possession, production, propagation, processing, securing or selling of marijuana items at the premises for which the license has been issued;
  • The verification of any document described in ORS 475B.170; or
  • The direct supervision of a person described above.

The worker permit fee is $100 and is only due upon approval.

Taking the online test is just the first step. To complete the process you need to apply for your worker permit online. Click on Register for a Worker Permit account and follow the directions that follow.

You may use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD as you did for the testing site if you would like, however the website for the online test and the application need to registered for separately.


No. Please email your USERNAME to from the email address you used to register your account. You will receive an email response within 24 hours during regular business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm. Please allow for the next business day if you submit your request after 5pm on Fridays.

Do not create an additional account. Log in to your account and follow the directions listed in the email.

The OLCC will contact you when your application has been processed and let you know it is time to pay. You will receive an email indicating a change in status, from NICUSA, at the email address you provided upon registration.

No. Worker Permits are available to be printed from your account dashboard after payment. Log in, click on Print my Worker Permit and print it off. This is what a Recreational Marijuana Worker Permit should look like:

Denial criteria is located in the OLCC Division 25 rules, OAR 845-025-5540.

Yes, a separate background check is required for the worker permit application. This will be processed directly by OLCC. You will be contacted by an email from if additional information is needed.

All marijuana workers will take the same test, this will allow for you to change jobs within the industry if you so desire.

Yes, all employees, even seasonal employees need a worker permit.

Worker permits are only required for employees of businesses licensed by the OLCC. However, some medical marijuana businesses may ask you to get a worker permit.

Personal Use

As of July 1, 2015, Oregonians are allowed to grow up to four plants on their property, possess up to eight ounces of usable marijuana in their homes and up to one ounce on their person. Recreational marijuana cannot be sold or smoked in public. For more information go to:

You may purchase marijuana items at an OLCC licensed retail location.

The personal possession limits for a person over age 21 are: 

  • Two ounces of usable marijuana in a public place;
  • Eight ounces of usable marijuana in your home;
  • 16 ounces of cannabinoid products in solid form or cannabinoid concentrates;
  • 72 ounces of cannabinoid products in liquid form;
  • One ounce of cannabinoid extracts purchased from a marijuana retailer; and
  • ​Four marijuana plants.

Useable marijuana refers to dried marijuana flowers or leaves. In other words, marijuana that is ready to smoke.

Yes, with limits. As of July 1, 2015, Oregonians can home grow of up to four plants per residence, regardless of how many people live in the residence. Four adults in one residence does not mean 16 plants. The limit is four per residence.

No, the Oregon Board of Pharmacy has voted to ban sale and possession of synthetic marijuana.  Synthetic marijuana is comprised of a number of different chemicals, none of which are derived from the plant Cannabis family Cannabaceae, any part of the plant Cannabis family Cannabaceae and the seeds of the plant Cannabis family Cannabaceae.  The chemicals contained in synthetic marijuana have been added to the Oregon Board of Pharmacy's list of controlled substances.

Chapter 475B does not affect existing landlord/tenant laws.

Chapter 475B does not affect existing employment law. Employers who require drug testing can continue to do so.

No. Marijuana cannot be smoked or used in a public place. The OLCC considers any establishment with a state liquor license to be public, including patios or decks set aside for smokers. Allowing marijuana use may put an establishment's liquor license in jeopardy. In addition, smoking and vaping in most businesses is limited by the Indoor Clean Air Act.

Chapter 475B defines a public place as “a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies, and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation."

As of July 1, 2015, anyone at least 21 years of age can consume recreational marijuana in Oregon. Marijuana use or possession of recreational marijuana by anyone under 21 years of age is illegal. That includes home consumption.

Enforcement of the home grow/personal possession provisions of Chapter 475B will be at the discretion of local jurisdictions, the state police and possibly other law enforcement agencies. The OLCC is responsible for enforcement actions against businesses that the OLCC licenses to grow, process, wholesale and sell recreational marijuana and related products.

The retail price of recreational marijuana will be determined through a competitive marketplace.

No. Taking marijuana across state lines is a federal offense.

Chapter 475B prohibits the sale of recreational marijuana to anyone under the age of 21. The act also gives OLCC authority to regulate or prohibit advertising. In writing the rules necessary to implement the new law, the OLCC may also regulate packages and labels to ensure public safety and prevent appeal to minors.

Yes. Current laws for DUII have not changed. Driving under the influence of intoxicants (DUII) refers to operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated or drugged, including impairment from the use of marijuana. In addition, Chapter 475B requires OLCC to examine, research and present a report to the Legislature on driving under the influence of marijuana. The OLCC will do this in conjunction with the Department of Justice Criminal Investigation Division and Oregon State Police.

That depends on who you work for and what your employer says about the use of marijuana by employees. Passage of Chapter 475B does not change existing employment law in Oregon.

Unless meeting the exemptions in Oregon Law 2017, Ch. 7 and 613, Marijuana retailers may not be located within 1000 feet of a school, unless they meet specific exemptions All licensed businesses must be located in an area that is appropriately zoned. Also, local jurisdictions have authority to adopt reasonable regulations regarding the location of marijuana businesses, including regulations requiring that the businesses be located no less than 1000 feet from one another. To keep up to date, click here.

Taxes on recreational marijuana will be collected by the Oregon Department of Revenue at the retail level.

Chapter 475B does not address the possession or use of recreational marijuana on the land of Federally Recognized Tribes in Oregon.  This is an issue between the Federal Government and Tribal Governments