Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Questions Asked by Licensees

Q. As a physician, do I need a special state license or certification, in addition to my DEA registration, to dispense or prescribe controlled substances in Oregon?
A. Your DEA registration is sufficient to prescribe controlled substances. However any actively licensed Oregon physician who dispenses drugs must register with the Board as a "dispensing physician." Dispensing samples without charge is not considered dispensing. 
Q. Can a Board licensee practice in Oregon using a license from another state?
A. No, except under the unique circumstances where a doctor who is licensed and in good standing in another state is employed by a federal installation, such as a veterans' hospital or an Indian reservation. Such a doctor may not practice elsewhere in the state. 
Q. Does Oregon law require physician professional corporations to register with the Oregon Medical Board?
A. The Oregon Medical Board does not require physician corporations to register with the agency. However, professional corporations must file with the Office of Secretary of State per Oregon Revised Statue, Chapter 58. The administrative rule (OAR 847-40-005) that used to require this was repealed in 1989. All inquiries should be referred to the Office of Secretary of State at (503)986-2200.