Our public defenders and clients are facing enormous challenges during this public health crisis. The Office of Public Defense Services sends our gratitude to our justice system partners who are working hard to mitigate the spread of disease while protecting civil rights for our clients. These are extraordinary times and it will take extraordinary collaboration and creativity to get through this.
OPDS is committed to supporting and maintaining open communications with public defenders and clients during this period of uncertainty. Stay up to date with the latest information by periodically checking this page.
OPDS Provider Conference Call
OPDS will be reconvening our provider conference calls in September 2021. Given community input on our survey, the calls will be held monthly on the last Thursday of each month, with exception of holidays. Each month we will plan to come together to provide you with important agency updates, share our progress on the HB 5030 budget bill and offer time for Q&A. The primary goal of these calls continues to be open communication and transparency amongst all jurisdictions throughout the state. We invite all Oregon public defense providers to participate in this call.
Conference Call for Public Defense Providers
- Who: All Oregon public defense providers are welcome
- When: Last Thursday of each month, with exception of holidays
- Time: Noon to 12:30 PT
Current Scheduled Meeting Dates
- December 2, 2021
- December 30, 2021
- January 27, 2022
- February 24, 2022
We thank you for your time and continued participation during these calls.
Previous OPDS Updates for Providers
- 7/20/2021: The survey has concluded and the results are currently being reviewed. The outcome on how we will proceed with these teleconference calls will be forthcoming.
- 7/7/2021: We invite all Oregon public defense providers to participate in a survey. The answers will be used to assist OPDS in determining how to best move forward with the provider teleconference calls. OPDS is engaged to continue this line of communication and we thank you for your partnership and comments as we gather consensus on how to best move forward. You can access the survey by clicking here. OPDS will be collecting responses until Monday, July 19, 2021. The outcome on how we will proceed with these teleconference calls will be forthcoming.
- 7/2/2021: OPDS will be sending a survey to public defense providers to gather direction on how to move forward with these calls. Initially, the biweekly provider teleconference calls were scheduled to offer transparency amongst all jurisdictions and to support the service provider community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the past few months, as vaccinations have become commonplace and COVID-19 restrictions have been lifting across the state, the biweekly calls have expanded in scope and have encompassed other topics of interest. OPDS is engaged to continue this line of communication and we thank you for your partnership and comments as we gather consensus on how to best move forward.
Justice and Legal System Response
Habeas Advocacy Resources
Juvenile Advocacy Resources
- Court Advocacy Toolkit
- Client Communication
- Motion Templates From Other Jurisdictions
- Advocating Remotely
- COVID-19 Case Manager Technical Assistance
- Other Advocacy Resources
State of Oregon Response