The 2015 Oregon Transportation Options (TO) Plan is one of several statewide transportation mode and topic plans that further refine and implement the Oregon Transportation Plan's (OTP) goals, policies, strategies, and key initiatives.
The purpose of the Plan is to establish a vision and policy guidance that supports and advances TO program activities and suggests ways to integrate TO into transportation planning and investments. The plan also supports TO program activities and integration with capital investment planning at the local and regional level.
Transportation options strategies, programs, and investments enhance traveler opportunities and choices to bike, walk, take transit, share rides, and telecommute. Transportation options strategies can lead to transportation and community benefits such as:
- Making more efficient use of the existing transportation infrastructure.
- Supporting community health goals through increased opportunities for physical activity and decreased emissions.
- Reducing the amount of money spent on transportation costs such as fuel.
- Supporting the economy by reducing congestion, thereby improving the movement of freight locally and across the state.
- Providing options for the millennial generation who are choosing to drive less.
- Providing choices for the growing elderly population who may depend on transportation options.
ODOT Planning Unit Manager