The Residential Structural Inspector (CAS) and Residential Plans Examiner Inspector (CAX) course is split into two modules:
- Module 1: During this module, students will learn the codes and processes for performing residential structural and mechanical inspections covered by the Oregon Residential Specialty Code, and the various components of structural and mechanical installations that are verified during the inspection process. Students who successfully complete module 1 will be approved to continue with module 2. 24 weeks.
- Module 2: During this module, students will learn the process and responsibilities of reviewing residential plans. This process includes how to read plans, note corrections, write a plan review, and read approved plans provided on the jobsite during the inspection process. 10 weeks.
Students who successfully complete modules 1 and 2 will be approved to sit for the state certification exams:
- Residential Structural Inspector (CAS) certification exam
- Residential Plans Examiner Inspector (CAX) certification exam
Once each state exam is successfully passed, students will receive certification for Residential Structural Inspector (CAS) and Residential Plans Examiner (CAX).
Course requirement: Individuals who register and are approved to take the course who do not hold a current Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) will be required to enroll for the next available OIC. Training staff will contact you with available dates.
Please note: Those interested should register immediately once registration is open so your application can be reviewed for consideration. Although we are aware many are waiting to take this course, seating will be limited. Those who work for, or on behalf of, an Oregon building department (county, city or state) will be considered for seating first as we have a responsibility to meet the needs of current inspection services in the state. All other registration requests will be considered in the order received.
Required course work:
- As listed above this course is split into two
modules, for a total of 34 weeks.
- Module 1 is 24 weeks.
- Module 2 is 10 weeks.
- Class days that fall on a state closure will extend the
course by one day for each occurrence
- Course progress exams will be assigned throughout the 34 weeks.
- Reading assignments and other homework may be given after completion of a lesson
- Final exam:
students may use code book and code reference material. Lessons, hand
written notes and electronic devices will not be allowed. Exam will
be given at a proctored location.
Enrollment policies: requirements for attendance, course work, and
Computer system specifications
Required course materials
- Basic calculator
- Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC) - current version
- Cite-it-write-it checklist
- Download individual laws and rules, or purchase full set from BCD
- Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR)
- Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS)
Optional course material:
Building Codes Division
1535 Edgewater Street NW, CR C
Salem, OR 97304
(or attend online via Adobe Connect)
$750 (includes certification fee)