Prerequisite to all courses
To be eligible for this class you must meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have been pre-approved to take an Oregon state electrical or plumbing inspector exam;
- Have been hired by a municipality;
- Have national certifications to convert; (Submit Application)
- Have a bachelor's or master's degree in architecture or engineering;
- OIC has expired, or are required by the division to take the class; or
- Have registered for an electrical, plumbing, or structural certification course and understand this class is part of the certification requirement.
The Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) class is designed for individuals who are new to the building industry and seeking employment in Oregon as an inspector. The class explains the roles and responsibilities of building officials, inspectors, and plans examiners. Unless otherwise stated in
OAR 918-098-1010, every person who performs building official duties, building code inspections, or plan reviews must possess a valid OIC.
- This class is currently taught online, webcam and microphone required
- This course is taught monthly for individuals who meet the qualifications
- Course materials are provided by the division
- OIC will be issued within one week of successfully passing the exam
Conflict of interest: If you are currently working as a contractor, Oregon Administrative Rule (see
OAR 918-098-1475) prohibits you from working as a contractor while working as an inspector in Oregon.
- Class is approximately three hours.
- Once registration and fee is received, two weeks before class student will be mailed pack of presentation material. Student must return signed application.
- Once signed application is on file with the division, student will be emailed the instructional video and must watch it in its entirety before class day.
- Class day begins at 9 a.m. and consists of Q&A session with the instructors to answer questions.
- Following Q&A session, the OIC exam will be administered online. Passing score of 75% or higher is required for successful completion and certification issuance.
- Failed exam will require the class to be taken again, new application and fee are required.
- A reminder email will be sent two days before the class with the Zoom login link and code
Note: Please log in to Zoom 15 minutes early to ensure the webcam and microphone are working.