Prerequisite to all courses
class is provided if offered monthly for those
who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have been pre-approved
to take an Oregon state electrical or plumbing inspector exam.
- Have been hired by a
- Have national
certifications to convert.
- Have a bachelor’s or
master’s degree in architecture or engineering.
- OIC has expired, or
are required by the division to take the class.
- Have registered for an
electrical, plumbing, or structural certification course and understand this
class is part of the certification requirement.
The Oregon Inspector Certification (OIC) class is designed for individuals who are new to the building industry and seeking employment in Oregon as an inspector. The class highlights the roles and responsibilities of building officials, inspectors, and plans examiners. Unless otherwise stated in OAR 918-098-1010, every person who performs building official duties, building code inspections, or plan reviews must possess a valid OIC.
- This class is only taught onsite and is not available online.
- This course is taught monthly for individuals who
meet the qualifications.
- Course materials are provided by the division.
- OIC will be issued within one week of successfully passing the exam.
Conflict of interest: If you are currently working as a contractor, Oregon Administrative Rule (see OAR 918-098-1475) prohibits you from working as a contractor while working as an inspector in Oregon.
- Doors open at 7:15 a.m.
- Instruction begins at 8:00 a.m. both days
- Day 1: Students will be given a 30 minute break for lunch (lunch is not provided). Class will end at 5:00 p.m.
- Day 2: Class will end after the exam at approximately 2:00 p.m.
Note: Please arrive at minimum 15 minutes early to sign in, receive materials and locate a seat. You are welcome to bring something to eat and drink.
Building Codes Division
1535 Edgewater Street NW, CR C
Salem, OR 97304
Please email training staff for available dates and to register.