Recording ownership documents
The Building Codes Division (BCD) is responsible for recording ownership, security interests, and location for all manufactured homes and other structures that are sited in Oregon, but not deeded as “real property” per ORS 446.626.
Follow these directions when submitting applications for a manufactured home ownership-related transaction:
Step 1: Prepare required forms and documents
Identify the forms and documents required for the ownership-related transaction. Most forms are available in a fillable pdf format and can be downloaded.
- Every home ownership-related application requires a county notification form, regardless of the transaction. This document ensures there are no issues associated with the structure, such as delinquent taxes. The county assessment/taxation office where the new home will be sited or used home is currently sited must provide a valid tax certification. You must present a copy of the Manufactured Home Ownership Document Application to obtain the tax certification from the county office.
- Depending on the transaction, additional forms or documents may be required. Applications that are not fully completed and signed will be returned without processing. View or download the Manufactured Home Ownership Document Transaction Guide for more information.
Note: Some manufactured homes may be exempt from ownership laws and rules per criteria outlined in ORS 446.626. Contact the county where the home is sited for more information.
Step 2: Submit the application
- Walk the application into a local county or state office. Some counties will process applications for local residents when signing the notification form. Fees will vary per county. Check this list of participating county assessment/tax offices. Note: This is the quickest way to process an application.
- The following BCD offices also process walk-in applications:
Salem Office - 1535 Edgewater St. NW, Salem, OR 97304, 503-378-4133, open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
Pendleton Office - 800 SE Emigrant Ave., Suite #360, Pendleton, OR 97801, 541-276-7814, open 8 a.m.-Noon; 1-4 p.m., Monday though Friday
Coos Bay Office - 500 Central Ave., Suite #135, Coos Bay, OR 97420, 541-266-1098, open 8 a.m.-Noon; 1-4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Mail the application to BCD: Mail all forms, documents, and required fees to: Oregon Building Codes Division, P.O. Box 14470, Salem, OR 97309-0404. If using FedEx or UPS, please use the Salem Edgewater Street NW address above, not the P.O. Box.
- Fax the application to BCD at 503-947-2333, a secure fax line. Fax all forms and documents, and complete the credit card information for fee processing.
- Upload the application electronically into MHODS: Apply online to MHODS, the state’s manufactured home records system; upload forms and documents, and pay fees by credit card. Learn more about using MHODS or go directly to the MHODS website.
After submitting the application, allow at least two to three weeks for processing before inquiring about its status. Reminder: Review forms and documents to ensure they are fully completed prior to submission; incomplete applications will be returned.
Step 3: Receive new or amended ownership documents
After the transaction is processed, you will receive new or updated ownership documents in the U.S. mail.
Oregon no longer issues certificates of title for manufactured homes, but rather provides ownership documents that reflect all owners and security interests recorded as of the date the documents were printed.
Please review your new documents to ensure all transactions were accurately processed and recorded. If there is an error, please email a corrected copy to email@example.com or mail to Oregon Building Codes Division, P.O. Box 14470, Salem, OR 97309-0404.