Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Leases, Licenses, and Other Authorizations

Authorizations are required for many commercial uses of state-owned lands, as well as some special and short-term uses. Learn more about the different types of authorizations below.

Most authorizations go through a 30-day public review by adjacent landowners and interested stakeholders prior to approval.

​Long-term or permanent structures on state-owned land, including roadways, telephone, gas, cable and electric utility line crossings, pipelines, ditches, sewer outfalls, and railroads require an easement authorization prior to placement.

Submit an easement application form and fee​ to apply for a long-term or permanent structure. If the authorization is granted, fees may vary, depending on the type of easement.​

Most state-owned lands and mineral rights under DSL’s jurisdiction are available for mineral exploration and mining.
This includes:
  • Exploring for mineral deposits
  • Collecting mineral samples, including petrified wood and semi-precious stones
  • Developing and mining mineral deposits
  • Extracting aggregates
Learn about mineral collection for personal use​

Exploring an area for minerals
You may take hand-sized samples from the surface of lands and geologically map an area without an authorization. However, a permit is needed to dig or drill holes. Please note: if DSL owns the mineral rights (the subsurface land) and someone else owns the surface land, you will need to obtain permission from that surface owner. Apply for a mineral prospecting permit.
Mining state-owned land. 
To mine state-owned land, submit a mining lease application and complete an application supplement​.

Extracting gravel, sand, and other aggregates.
A special use permit is required to remove up to 4,999 cubic yards of gravel, sand, or other types of aggregates from a single location on state-owned land per one calendar year. For larger requests, a lease and DOGAMI permitting​ is required.
Interested applicants should submit a special use permit application​ to the Department of State Lands.​

The Department leases rangelands ​​for livestock grazing and manages these rangelands in partnership with leaseholders to ensure healthy, properly functioning ecosystems. Learn more about leasing rangelands.​​

​Entities can apply to operate a communications site on state-owned land to transmit or receive radio, microwave, wireless communications, and other electric signals. Interested applicants need to propose a location and list of frequencies. The applicant should also work with local jurisdictions to be approved for any additional permitting.

Complete a special use permit​ to apply for a communications site.

​A special use permit may be needed for a variety of uses of state-owned land, including renewable energy, converting grazing lands into agricultural fields, native seed harvesting, bee and pollination services, agricultural leases, industrial/residential/commercial purposes, firewood cutting, recreational cabins, motion picture filming and set construction, sporting events, and long-term scientific studies.

Special use permits allows a person or entity to use a specific area of state-owned land under specific terms and conditions for a set length of time. Special use permits generally require an annual rent or royalty payment. Apply for a special use permit.

Renewable energy projects.
For renewable energy projects, including solar, wind, and geothermal power, apply for a sp​ecial use permit​. Hydropower energy special leases​​​ are also available.​​

​​​​Firewood cutting is permitted at certain times of the year for those with firewood permits. Contact DSL for details. The cost is $20 per cord, with a 2-cord maximum.

​Short-term access authorizations are available for limited duration uses of state-owned land that have limited impact on the property.

Short-term access authorizations apply to many land use activities, including educational or research projects, collection of mineral or plant samples, removal of juniper for non-commercial purposes, and assessments to determine if a long-term permit is needed.

Apply for a short-term access authorization​.