Equity and Student Success
The Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) is committed to improving success and ensuring environments are conducive to optimum learning for all students, with a particular focus on those who are traditionally underserved in higher education. This commitment informs policy decision-making, funding recommendations, ongoing programs as well as special initiatives.
In its equity initiatives and efforts, the HECC welcomes the involvement and collaboration of campus communities, students and families, community-based organizations, tribal partners, agencies and additional stakeholders to achieve mutual education goals and build lasting relationships to improve the futures of all Oregon students.
Background on Equity and State Goals
The state’s ambitious “40-40-20” goal has provided a “North Star” for HECC and state leaders to improve the educational attainment rates of students who are presently underserved, and Oregon is currently in the process of also developing an adult educational attainment goal. The importance of equity initiatives is emphasized in the Commission’s current Strategic Plan and is anchored by the HECC-adopted Equity Lens.
The Oregon Equity Lens was adopted by the HECC in 2014 as a cornerstone to the State’s approach to education policy and budgeting. The purpose of the Equity Lens is to clearly articulate a shared goal for an equitable education system, to put into place the intentional policies, investments, and systemic changes necessary to reach this goal and to create clear accountability structures to ensure that we are actively making progress and correcting past inequities.
Diversity and Affirmative Action plan:
Equity-Related Data Resources:
While education outcomes statewide are trending slightly upward, Oregon continues to see significant disparities. Low-income and students of color experience less opportunity and success throughout the education continuum, including higher education.
- Find data on educational attainment in Oregon here.
- The HECC's Statewide Higher Education Snapshots, an annutal set of reports first launched in 2018, provide a high level overview of data on enrollment, affordability and outcomes for resident students in Oregon's public institutions, disaggregated by ethnicity/race, and more.
- Explore additional Public Postsecondary Student Data, including disaggregated data by age, gender, and ethnicity here.
- Also see additional Featured Data here, produced by the HECC Office of Research and Data.
- Explore the Education Pathways diagram developed by ECONorthwest for Oregon Learns, which provides visual evidence that Oregon is falling short in its aspirations for student completion of studies and credentials – both in high school and beyond. Additional versions of the diagram using disaggregated data, go to the Oregon Learns website here.