To qualify for the exam you must meet at least one of the following requirements. If you are qualifying by your experience with a landscape contracting business or in a landscape related field (rather than a degree or education) the experience must be within 10 years prior to the date of the application.
1. Employed by a licensed landscape contracting business for a total of 2 years. Have your employer(s) complete the employer verification form. This form must be submitted with your application.
2. Two years of related landscaping experience (nursery work, landscape maintenance work, etc). Submit a completed landscape maintenance verification form documenting 5 customers/projects per year for a 2 year period or the employer verification form if you were an employee of a company performing landscape related work.
3. Associates, Bachelors or Masters Degree in horticulture or related field which includes cooperative work experience (if no cooperative work experience, documentation showing 6 months of related landscape experience may substitute). Submit a copy of your transcripts.
4. A certificate in horticulture or other related field from an accredited school or college that requires a minimum of 72 credit hours, which includes cooperative work experience in landscaping (if no cooperative work experience, documentation showing 6 months of related landscape experience may substitute). Submit a copy of certificate and a copy of transcripts with your application.
5. A current certification with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) as a Certified Arborist. Submit a copy of your certificate with your application.
6. Successfully completed the Landscape Industry Certification program administered by OLCA or another entity licensed to the National Assocation of Landscape Professionals (NALP). Submit a copy of your signed certificate with your application.
7. A current membership as a Certified Professional Member of APLD. Submit a copy of your certificate with your application.
8. Hold a current Oregon Backflow Assembly Tester Certification or complete a Backflow Assembly Tester 5 day course approved by the Oregon Drinking Water Program. Submit a copy of certification or course completion with your application.
9. Other landscaping related certified membership on an individual basis to be determined by the board.
If you have other experience that you feel would qualify you to take the exam, submit documentation and a letter of explanation. You will be contacted if any further documentation is needed.