Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Report a Hazard

Contact Information

For life threatening emergencies call 911. 

How do I report issues on state highways?

To report needed repairs such as potholes or damaged signs contact our Ask ODOT staff online or call 1-888-275-6368 (1-888-ASK-ODOT) and choose option 6.

How do I report a drunk or impaired driver?

Report possible drunk or drugged drivers by calling *677 from a mobile phone or 911 from any phone.

How do I report a state driver unsafe behavior or misuse of a vehicle?

Email or call the Oregon Department of Administrative Services 503-373-7475 or use the online reporting form.

How do I report unsafe operation of a commercial truck?

Call the Truck Safety Hotline 1-800-248-6782 or use the online form to report a truck speeding, tailgating, changing lanes unsafely, or spilling its load. This service is provided by ODOT's Commerce and Compliance Division.

How do I report dirty or unsafe conditions at a rest area?

You can find a list of rest areas by highway number on Many of the safety rest areas along state highways are managed by the Oregon Travel Information Council or Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, use the contact information listed online to notify them about an issue.

How do I report an illicit discharge into a storm water runoff or drain?

An illicit discharge occurs when anything other than storm water enters our storm water facilities. Dumping chemicals into storm drains, roadways, curb and butter sidewalks, driveways and yards are all sources of illicit discharges. Report and illicit discharge on Oregon's highways by contacting our Clean Water Program coordinator at 503-991-9367, by email or using form 734-5297.

Why does ODOT just patch potholes instead of fixing them permanently the first time?

The decision to fix a pothole temporarily or permanently generally depends on the time of year. The preferred method of fixing a pothole is to fill it with "hot mix" — heated asphalt — then compact the mixture with a powered roller and seal the edges with hot oil. This should keep the pothole patched until the highway is repaved at some point in the future. The problem is, in order for the hot mix to stick to the surrounding pavement, the pavement and the subsurface beneath the pavement has to be completely dry. If there’s moisture in the pothole, the material will break down and the patch will fail. So, during the rainy/snow season, crews will use "cold mix" to patch potholes. This material is a rock/oil mixture that is placed in the pothole cold and simply tamped down. It is a very temporary fix. In fact, on busier highways, cold mix patches may have to be redone several times a winter. The object of cold mix patches is to keep "something" in the hole until drier weather arrives and the pothole can be repaired permanently.

How do I report immediate road hazards, such as debris in the road or  a disabled vehicle?

Dial 911 for life-threatening emergencies.

Non-emergency assistance, contact Oregon State Police in the following ways:

Dial *OSP or *677 if you are calling from a mobile phone, or 

800-442-0776 Northern Command Center (NCC) 
Non-emergency assistance for these counties: Benton, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Sherman, Tillamook, Wasco, Washington, Wheeler, and Yamhill.

800-442-2068 Southern Command Center (SCC)
Non-emergency assistance for these counties: Baker, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Grant, Harney, Jackson, Josephine, parts of Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, and Wallowa.

If you are unsure which OSP dispatch to dial, call either one and they will assist you.