Skip to main content

Report a Hazard

Contact Information

For life threatening emergencies call 911. 

How do I report issues on state highways?

To report needed repairs such as potholes or damaged signs contact the nearest ODOT Maintenance District. If you need help finding a phone number or have a question about whom to call, contact our Ask ODOT staff, 1-888-275-6368 (1-888-ASK-ODOT) or email

How do I report a drunk or impaired driver?

Report possible drunk or drugged drivers by calling 1-800-243-7865.

How do I report unsafe/unlawful operation of a state vehicle?

Email or call the Oregon Department of Administrative Services 503-373-7475.

How do I report unsafe operation of a commercial truck?

Call the Truck Safety Hotline 1-800-248-6782 or use the online form to report a truck speeding, tailgating, changing lanes unsafely, or spilling its load. This service is provided by ODOTs Commerce and Compliance Division.

How do I report dirty or unsafe conditions at a rest area?

Many of the safety rest areas along state highways and freeways are managed by the Oregon Travel Information Council. Contact them at 877-527-6560. The best way to determine who owns and operates a Safety Rest Area is to go to and open the Travel Center drop-down menu.

How do I report an illicit discharge into a storm water runoff or drain?

An illicit discharge occurs when anything other than storm water enters our storm water facilities. Dumping chemicals into storm drains, roadways, curb and butter sidewalks, driveways and yards are all sources of illicit discharges. Report and illicit discharge on Oregon's highways by contacting our Clean Water Program coordinator at 503-991-9367, by email or using form 734-5297.

How do I report debris or issues with a highway after hours?

Call one of ODOT's regional dispatch centers to report a road hazard, such as debris in the road or unsafe conditions.

ODOT Regional Map

Why does ODOT just patch potholes instead of fixing them permanently the first time?

The decision to fix a pothole temporarily or permanently generally depends on the time of year. The preferred method of fixing a pothole is to fill it with "hot mix" – heated asphalt – then compact the mixture with a powered roller and seal the edges with hot oil. This should keep the pothole patched until the highway is repaved at some point in the future. The problem is, in order for the hot mix to stick to the surrounding pavement, the pavement and the subsurface beneath the pavement has to be completely dry. If there’s moisture in the pothole, the material will break down and the patch will fail. So, during the rainy/snow season, crews will use "cold mix" to patch potholes. This material is a rock/oil mixture that is placed in the pothole cold and simply tamped down. It is a very temporary fix. In fact, on busier highways, cold mix patches may have to be redone several times a winter. The object of cold mix patches is to keep "something" in the hole until drier weather arrives and the pothole can be repaired permanently.