Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permit

Planning to Visit Multnomah Falls? Prepare for construction in 2024. Try something new and leave the driving to

Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permits resume at Exit 31 May 24-Sept. 2, 2024

The U.S. Forest Service is reinstating its seasonal Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permit system for I-84 Exit 31. Between May 24 and Sept. 2, 2024, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., a Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permit is required for each personal vehicle accessing Multnomah Falls from Exit 31. Permits must be obtained in advance, starting May 10, 2024. These permits only apply to the lot on the Interstate at Exit 31.

A limited number of permits will be available for same-day pickup without a transaction fee at the Gateway to the Gorge Visitor Center in Troutdale and the Cascade Locks Historical Museum. There is a $2 transaction fee for permits obtained online.  

Timed use permits are not required on the Historic Columbia River Highway/U.S. 30 in 2024. There is no parking along the shoulder of the road, and parking is extremely limited at the small lot along the Historic Highway/U.S. 30 at Multnomah Falls. Starting in late spring 2024, Sasquatch Shuttle will charge for parking in this lot on a first-come, first served basis. There are six ADA parking spots at this lot for those with valid ADA placards. Improperly parked vehicles are subject to ticketing and/or towing – make sure to park only in designated spots. 

The most reliable way to see Multnomah Falls continues to be transit, by bicycle, or by tour/shuttle. Columbia Area Transit (CAT) runs the Columbia Gorge Express serving Gateway Transit Center in Portland, Multnomah Falls, Cascade Locks, and Hood River. Avoid the congestion by planning your trip in advance. If you want to visit Multnomah Falls by personal vehicle, the best way is to take I-84 to Exit 31. 

Click to reserve a permit

Frequently Asked Questions

What’s different this year compared to previous years?

The Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permit is the same as last year – all personal vehicles parking at I-84 Exit 31 need a permit. 
Parking is no longer free at the Multnomah Falls parking lot on the Historic Columbia River Highway. Sasquatch Shuttle will require a daily parking fee via automated machine.

Do I need a permit? 

All personal vehicles parking at I-84 Exit 31 need a permit from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. from May 24 to Sept. 2, 2024.  Permits will be on an hourly basis from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. Arrive any time within the hour and stay as long as you’d like.

While you cannot access Multnomah Falls before your time slot, there are no limits on how long you stay. The permit check-in location is on the walkway between the parking lot and Multnomah Falls. This location DOES NOT provide walk-up tickets. Permits must be obtained in advance. ​

The I-84 location is the only area where a permit is required in 2023. The Waterfall Corridor does not require a permit. 

Getting your permit 

Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permits will be available online at www.recreation .gov for a $2 transaction fee. There will also be a limited amount of free, in person, same-day permits at the Gateway to the Gorge Visitor Center in Troutdale  and Cascade Locks Historical will post online permits 2 weeks prior to the visit date.  

How much does a permit cost? 

There will be a $2 transaction fee for permits obtained online. No other costs are associated with the Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permit. 

How long can I stay? 

If you have a permit, once you arrive during your designated time slot, you can stay as long as you like. Parking is not guaranteed. 

If I arrive before 9 a.m., do I need a permit?

No permit is needed if you arrive to the before 9 a.m. or after 6 p.m. 

I have multiple people in my car. How many permits do I need? 

Permits are per vehicle, not per person. You only need one permit per vehicle. ​

Where will Multnomah Falls (I-84) Timed Use Permits for Exit 31 be checked? 

Staff will check permits at the pedestrian tunnel from the I-84 parking lot to Multnomah Falls.​

Where can I find more information on transit service in the Gorge?

Columbia Area Transit provides bus service to the Gorge! Stops include Gateway Transit Center, Troutdale, Multnomah Falls, Cascade Locks and Hood River. 

How do I go by bike?

Depending on how far you want to ride, you can bike to the Waterfall Corridor or take transit with your bike close to where you want to start your ride. View a bike map. There are limited places outside of and within the Waterfall Corridor to park and begin your ride, such as the Toothrock Trailhead or Bridge of the Gods Trailhead to the east.

Columbia Area Transit's​ buses run every 30 minutes from the Gateway Transit Center in Portland and from Hood River seven days a week with stops in Troutdale, Cascade Locks and at Multnomah Falls. CAT buses are equipped with three bike racks. Once bike racks are full, no more bicycles can be accommodated.  

E-bikes are not allowed on the sidewalk or the plaza at Multnomah Falls.​

Where do tour providers find more information?

For questions on how to best accommodate your tour participants, please contact the U.S. Forest Service at 541-308-1700. 

​Will there be a flagger at the crosswalk across the Historic Highway at Multnomah Falls?

A flagger will direct traffic at the crosswalk at Multnomah Falls every day. ​

​Why are there workers near the Highway and a fenced off area along the Historic Highway?

Maintenance and repair work is underway on the viaducts (the elevated roadways) on either side of Multnomah Falls. While there will not be any traffic impacts during the day between May and September, you may still see construction crews and equipment working to repair the 100+ year old concrete structures. 

From fall 2024 to spring 2026, expect full closures and delays on the Historic Highway near the Multnomah Falls Lodge. Access to the Falls and the Lodge will remain open. Be prepared to use I-84 for access and parking. There will be detours or lane closures for the Historic Highway. Or try transit with Columbia Area Transit to gain access.

One viaduct will be closed at a time between fall and spring each year. In between viaduct closures, there will be flaggers directing traffic on the Historic Highway. Over the next two years, you can expect: 

  • Nighttime single lane closures: intermittently from fall 2024 through fall 2026
  • West viaduct closure: fall 2024 through spring 2025
  • East viaduct closure: fall 2025 through spring 2026

Learn more about this project and other nearby projects. 


ODOT logo OPRD LogoU.S. Forest Service logoMultnomah County Logo


U.S. Forest Service Contact:

Katelyn Jackson
ODOT Community Affairs

Terra Lingley
ODOT Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Coordinator