The Local Innovation and Fast Track (LIFT) Housing Program creates affordable homes for vulnerable families. The program focuses on communities of color and rural communities. The program supports new construction or conversion of existing non-housing structures only. This funding source allows OHCS and its partners to add to the supply of affordable housing statewide. This way we can focus on service to historically underserved communities.
The LIFT program design identifies an effective way to use the Article XI-Q bond funding for housing development. These funds require the state to have an ownership or operational interest in any real property developed using the funds.
OHCS offers funds through competitive "NOFAs" Notice of Funding Availability.
A scoring committee made of internal and external members review and rank the applications. The membership includes representatives from:
- Communities of color
- Diverse geographical regions
- Industry experts (private & public)
Factors considered include:
- Commitment to equity
- Readiness for development
- Affordability for those earning below 80% area median income
- Demonstration of construction costs in line with industry norms
- Demonstration of innovation, efficiency or replicability
- Lower amounts of LIFT subsidy