Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Hemp Certificate Application Process

Obtaining an OLCC hemp certificate is necessary for any business that will transfer hemp or hemp items to an OLCC-licensed marijuana business.

Only a hemp grower or hemp handler licensed with the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) can receive an OLCC hemp certificate. Hemp growers and hemp handlers have different privileges when it comes to the kinds of hemp materials they are allowed to transfer:

  • Growers: A hemp grower with an OLCC hemp certificate can only transfer “harvested industrial hemp" to OLCC licensees. Harvested industrial hemp means hemp that has not been processed or been only minimally processed. It does not include “usable hemp" (smokable flower). OAR 845-025-2750
  • Handlers: A hemp handler with an OLCC hemp certificate can transfer “harvested industrial hemp" as well as “hemp items" to OLCC licensees. “Hemp items" includes “usable hemp" (smokable flower), hemp concentrates and extracts, and cannabinoid hemp products like edibles, tinctures, and topicals. OAR 845-025-2755

If a product manufacturer wants to transfer finished hemp items to OLCC marijuana licensees but does not have an ODA hemp handler license, they will need to obtain an ODA hemp handler license before requesting an OLCC hemp certificate. Information about ODA hemp licenses can be found on their website: 

OLCC rules related to OLCC hemp certificates are located in OAR Chapter 845 Division 25, especially OARs 845-025-2700 through 2785. 

See our Adult Use Market Hemp FAQ for more information

Applicants for an Industrial Hemp Certificate must pay a $250 non-refundable application fee and a $1,000 certificate fee.

Applications are submitted online through OLCC’s Cannabis and Alcohol Management Program (CAMP):

For more information about CAMP and instructions on using the system, see OLCC’s CAMP site:

Hemp certificate holders receive an account in Metrc, the marijuana tracking system used in Oregon, and can enter any hemp items that will be transferred to OLCC licensees into their Metrc account. Any hemp inventory that is entered into Metrc must be stored at the Oregon facility that holds the OLCC hemp certificate until it is transferred or otherwise removed from the certificate holder's Metrc inventory.

After the hemp or hemp item is entered into Metrc, it must undergo certain required compliance testing prior to being transferred to an OLCC marijuana licensee. At minimum, it needs to pass a potency test to make sure it's below the THC thresholds for hemp items that OLCC licensees are allowed to receive. Additionally, it needs to pass compliance testing for any other test that would be required for the equivalent marijuana item under OAR Chapter 333 Division 7. These requirements are essentially the same as the compliance testing requirements for hemp and hemp items under ODA's rules for hemp growers and handlers. A test performed by an out-of-state lab, or any lab not licensed by OLCC, cannot satisfy this requirement. The sampling and testing has to be performed by an OLCC-licensed ORELAP-accredited lab, and the transfer of the samples and the test results are all recorded in Metrc. Testing performed prior to entering the hemp or hemp item into Metrc cannot satisfy this requirement.

After the item has been entered into Metrc and passed the required testing, it can be transferred to OLCC-licensed marijuana Wholesalers, Processors, and Retailers as allowed under the privileges of the hemp certificate. See the Division 25 rules for details. OAR 845-025-2700 through -2785 in particular deal specifically with hemp.

If a hemp handler certificate holder intends to transfer any finished consumer-ready goods to OLCC marijuana licensees, note that hemp products being sold in the OLCC system need to comply with OLCC packaging and labeling requirements (OAR 845-025-7000 through -7190). This includes having specific information about ingredients, test results, nutritional information, and specific symbols and warnings. Anything other than a “generic label" (a label with no graphics or logos that contains only the information required by rule) needs to receive pre-approval from OLCC. Additional information about the packaging and labeling pre-approval process can be found on our Packaging and Labeling Pre-Approval page.