Skip to main content
Oregon.gov Homepage

National Register of Historic Places

The National Register of Historic Places is the United States' official list of buildings, districts, structures, sites, and objects important to local, state, or national history.

The program is run by the National Park Service and administered locally by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, an office of the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD).

What are the benefits of listing a property, site, or district on the National Register?

What are the restrictions of being listed on the National Register?

  • Owners of properties listed in the National Register choosing to take advantage of federal and state tax benefits and grant programs must comply with federal standards Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.
  • Oregon State law requires local governments to review proposals to demolish or relocate properties listed in the National Register.
  • Local governments have the authority to form local historic districts and landmarks, and may also create additional protections for properties listed in the National Register through a separate local process.

To find out more about how your local government may regulate National Register listed properties, please contact the local planning office.

Where to Start

The first step is to complete a Historic Resource Record (HRR). The form collects information regarding the brief history of the building, known changes to the building, and exterior and interior photographs of the resource.

If after review of the HRR the SHPO staff believes the property may be eligible for the National Register, the second step is to conduct additional historical research on a property.

Helpful Resources for Research

Prepare the National Register Nomination

After submitting a HRR and additional research, it is time to prepare a National Register nomination.

A National Register nomination is a federal document with specific technical requirements. SHPO staff can assist preparers as needed with nomination forms, but SHPO staff does not complete nominations for preparers.

Steps to begin:

  1. Photograph the property
  2. Complete the Nomination form
  3. Submit a complete nomination
See the next section on "Nomination Submission Deadlines & Process" for the next steps.

Deadlines For Submission

Every National Register nomination is reviewed by the State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation (SACHP). The SACHP meets 3 times a year. To be considered at one of their hearings, a complete nomination must be submitted by one of the following draft deadlines.

Draft Deadlines for consideration at the SACHP MeetingSACHP Meeting Months
March 1stJune
July 1stOctober
November 1stFebruary


Nomination Process

See the National Register Process in Oregon flow chart for a brief overview of the process in listing a property to the National Register.

Nominations Under Consideration/In Process

Nominations under consideration:

  • See the SACHP agenda for the next meeting and nominations being considered

Additional nominations in process:

For more information about the SACHP, meetings, agendas, and minutes, visit Commissions/Committees.

How to Comment on a National Register Nomination

Any individual, government entity, or organization may comment on pending National Register nominations. The public comment period for all nominations begins 60 days before the State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation meeting.

Please mail comments to:

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
State Historic Preservation Office
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C

OR

Email: ORSHPO.NationalRegisterProgram@oregon.gov

Recently Listed Oregon Properties in the National Register of Historic Places

  • Terwilliger Parkway, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in March 2021 - Designed by noted landscape architect John C. Olmsted, and completed under the leadership of Portland Park Superintendent Emanuel Tillman Mische in 1914, the Terwilliger Parkway is a 2.5-mile lineal road corridor in southwest Portland, Oregon. It runs along the east bank of a hillside less than a mile west of the Willamette River. The Parkway was completed in two sections – the first southern section was completed in 1912, and the northern extension to the south end of downtown was completed in 1914, and reflects the City Beautiful ideals intended by Olmsted to provide beautification within the heart of a city. It is one of several parkways that were proposed in a 1903 plan for Portland parks, but the only one actually constructed. Terwilliger Park nomination form

  • Gonzalez M. and Maude R. Rice House, Pendleton, Umatilla County, listed in February 2021 - The Gonzalez M. and Maude R. Rice House, built in 1915, is eligible for its architecture, as the house represents a rare example of the side-gabled roof Colonial Revival subtype in Pendleton. The Colonial Revival style stemmed from Americans looking back to their founding, and the Rice House is distinguished by its many character-defining features – including accentuated front entrance, Palladian windows, multiple pane-over-one wood windows, porticos with Classic columns, and decorative elements in the cornice.  While Pendleton’s North Hill features many high style architectural examples, the Rice House was built during the peak of popularity of the Colonial Revival style, opting to stray away from the once popular gambrel roof for the up and coming side-gabled roof. Therefore, the Rice House is a distinctive and notable example of the Colonial Revival style for the time period in Pendleton. Gonzalez M. and Maude R. Rice House nomination form

  • John & Elizabeth Kinsman House, Milwaukie, Clackamas County, listed in February 2021 - The John and Elizabeth Kinsman House, designed and built in 1963-1964, is locally significant for its architecture as an exemplar of the Contemporary Style, a residential style emphasizing local materials and indoor-outdoor living that reflected a break with previous architecture forms.  The house was designed and built by the owner, John Kinsman, for his own occupancy.  The large intact landscaped setting, retaining original trees and designed garden spaces includes a Log Cabin, although pre-dating Kinsman ownership, which was incorporated into the 1963 planning, a Treehouse, a quirky guest house/studio designed by Stuart Mockford and John Kinsman that was completed in 1969, and a garage. John & Elizabeth Kinsman House nomination form

  • J.K. Gill Company Building, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in February 2021 -  Designed by the prominent architecture firm of Sutton & Whitney, and completed in 1923, the J. K. Gill Building, in typical 1920s Commercial Style, is ten stories tall with a basement, and a total interior area of 101,000 square feet.  The architectural ornamentation on the building is restrained and includes belt courses, pilaster capitals, and a frieze with medallions featuring printing press imagery and the initials JKG at the parapet level.  The J. K. Gill Company Building has statewide significance for commerce history as the custom-built, flagship building that housed this important business for 68 years in downtown Portland.  It also has significance for its association with its founder, Joseph K. Gill.  While three other buildings remain that previously housed the firm, this building best reflects the company’s growth, economic prowess, and the significant place it holds in the history of commerce in Oregon, as well as the significance of Joseph Gill as an important business leader. J. K. Gill Company Building nomination form

  • Mallory Avenue Christian Church, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in February 2021 - Constructed in 1949, the Mallory Avenue Christian Church is locally significant under for its architecture as an outstanding example of an early postwar modern church and for ethnic heritage as a church that provided meaningful programming and outreach within Portland’s African American community. While historically a church with a White congregation, the King neighborhood in which Mallory Avenue Christian Church is located transitioned to a predominantly African American neighborhood by the 1960s.  Mallory Avenue Christian Church is believed to be the first historically White church to hire a Black community minister in Portland in the 1960s.  The church also became the new location of the northeast YWCA and started the People Are Beautiful program in the 1970s.  For several decades, Mallory Avenue Christian Church offered afterschool sports, classes, and events that brought the community together. Mallory Avenue Christian Church nomination form

  • Jacob H. & Etna M. Cook House, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in February 2021 - The Jacob H. and Etna M. Cook House is an excellent example of a high-style Neoclassical home that was the result of a significant remodel in 1909.  Originally constructed in 1892, virtually all evidence of the previous Victorian styling was removed from the front façade and the public spaces in the house.  The thorough remodel tells the story of the stark change in domestic architecture preferences after the turn of the 20th century where the busy Victorian styles fell out of favor and more orderly styles like Colonial Revival, Neoclassical, and Craftsman were preferred.  Only 17 years after it was constructed, the new owners—lumberman Jacob Cook and his wife Etna Cook transformed the exterior and updated the interior to reflect a floorplan of Arts and Crafts-inspired décor that was both fashionable and conducive to their frequent entertaining. In Oregon, remodels are not well documented in historic resource inventories.  With an exceptional level of historic integrity, the Cook House contributes to the understanding of local remodeling trends, providing a well-preserved example of the lengths to which wealthier individuals would aspire to in order to have their homes reflect their on-trend style and social prominence. Jacob H. and Etna M. Cook House nomination form

  • Patton Home, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in February 2021 - The Patton Home is locally significant under for women’s history, as an important Progressive Era retirement facility founded by women for women in Portland, Oregon.  It also had an all-women board of directors managing the home until the 1960s.  Considered to be the oldest continuously operating retirement home in Oregon, Patton Home was started by the Ladies Union Relief Society of Albina to provide supportive housing for elderly women in need.  In the Progressive Era of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, private elder care homes came about as a means of providing seniors with dignified housing rather than spending their final years relegated to the poorhouse.  These facilities also provided meals, activities, social and religious connections, and varying degrees of caregiving and medical support.  The establishment and growth of the Patton Home reflects the efforts of a determined group of charitable-minded, middleclass women to create an institution that would better the lives of vulnerable senior women in their community. Patton Home nomination form

  • Pallay Apartments, Portland, Multnomah County, listed in February 2021 - Built in 1910, the Pallay Apartments is locally significant as the first large-scale masonry apartment block constructed within Portland's Eastside Historic and Architectural Resources, 1850-1938 MPD.  This three-story, quarter-block building is an early, single-use apartment building and reflects the marked economic growth and population expansion during the early 20th century that resulted in a more urban character to the architecture of Portland’s eastside. The building is named for its developer and first owner Morris Pallay—a successful tailor who saw a money-making opportunity in the building of apartment houses. Pallay Apartments nomination form

  • Darcele XV, Portland, Multnomah County, listed on November 2, 2020 -  Located in downtown Portland, the drag venue Darcelle XV is nationally significant for its role in gaining acceptance for drag and gay rights and as a safe place that anchored the LGBTQ community far beyond the reach of any LGBTQ bar. Darcelle XV was well-known on the west coast starting as early as 1968 and was able to consistently pull in a mixed gay and straight audience starting in about 1970. The nightclub held drag pageants and competitions which drew participants from all over the United States. By the early 1970s, Darcelle XV was a well-known powerhouse of drag support and sponsorship on the west coast and that impact continues through today as Darcelle continues to perform. Darcelle XV nomination form

  • African American Resources in Portland, from 1851 to 1973 Multiple Property Document, Portland, Multnomah County, listed July 2020 - This document provides an overview of the history of African Americans in Portland through seven different historical contexts and establishes a framework for identifying and listing Portland’s African American resources in the National Register of Historic Places. This thematic document provides resources and guidance for individuals interested in listing properties in the National Register. African American Resources in Portland MPD form

​To see if a property in Oregon is in the National Register of Historic Places, visit the Historic Sites Database.

Properties can also be locally designated and might be subject to local restrictions. Be sure to check your local government for local landmark designations that may exist. A good place to start is with your local planning office.


Contact

Robert Olguin
(503) 602-2468
robert.olguin@oprd.oregon.gov

National Register Resources

Guides
Forms
Additional Resources



Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how

×