Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Adopt-A-Highway Program

The Adopt-A-Highway program provides an opportunity for volunteers to clean up litter and remove noxious weeds along state highways. Activities may also include graffiti removal and maintenance of existing landscaped areas.


  • May be individuals, families, groups or businesses; however, the organization must be readily identifiable as verified with the Secretary of State, group bylaws, etc.
  • Must be willing to commit to at least one year of volunteer service with a minimum of litter clean up four times a year or noxious weed removal two times a year.
  • Must be 16 years of age or older with at least one adult supervisor present while the work is being done.
  • Have the ability to walk in uneven terrain, lift and carry filled bags, and work safely around factors such as heavy traffic and high noise levels.
  • Must provide their own transportation and set their own schedule.

The Oregon Department of Transportation will provide trash bags, reflective vests, safety awareness information and work area signs. ODOT will also provide flags to mark large items, broken glass and other potentially dangerous items.


Every organization will be asked to select a spokesperson. That person will be the point of contact and will be responsible for:

  • Assuring that participants comply with the Adopt-A-Highway program requirements and safety procedures and has signed a liability release with ODOT;
  • Coordinating transportation of participants to and from the work area;
  • Picking up and returning the supplies provided by ODOT;
  • Notifying ODOT of any flagged items.

Noxious Weed Removal Plan

When removing weeds is proposed as a work activity, a noxious weed removal plan will need to be attached to the permit application form.

  • The plan must be approved by the Department of Agriculture or county weed district.
  • The plan should include the species of noxious weed to be removed and the method, timing and frequency of removal.

A link to a plan form is available in the Resources section under "Adopt-A-Highway Forms" below.
For assistance in developing a weed removal plan or help in determining who to contact for approval of the plan, visit the Department of Agriculture's website.


Adopt-A-Highway Forms

 For ODOT Use

Reference Information

A green Adopt-A-Highway sign on the right side of a road  

Contact Information

Contact the district for your area if you would like to adopt a section of state highway

For general Adopt-A-Highway questions:

Tina Juel
Adopt-A-Highway Program