Skip to main content


For an activity along a state highway, or an activity that requires the use of the state highway for other than a normal transportation activity, an encroachment permit is required. These include activities such as utility installation, driveways, parades, banners and many others.
There are three types of encroachment permits:
  1. Utility
  2. Access
  3. Miscellaneous         

Although not an encroachment, permits are also needed for operating a motor vehicle that is larger than the allowable legal size or weight (over-dimensional permit) on a state highway and for certain outdoor advertising signs including billboards visible from the state highway (outdoor advertising sign permit). 

There are 14 Maintenance Districts across the state. Each District is responsible for the day to day maintenance and operation of the state highways in their geographic area including issuing Utility, Miscellaneous, and Access permits. To find the local District office, see the map and contact information here: 

District Contact Information

A holder of an encroachment permit is responsible to follow federal, state and local regulations including obtaining any permits necessary to comply with those regulations.  The following brochure was created by state resource agencies to help guide individuals in identifying natural and cultural resource regulations and the agencies or level of government with jurisdiction for those regulations.


Natural and Cultural Resource Brochure

 Permit Requirements and Information

Click on the topic bars below for more information on permit requirements.


Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how