Please first confirm the agency you are submitting documents to accepts electronic submittals.
Use of consistent file naming can really help to simplify the electronic review process.
In the main building permit (Structural) files, please do not include plans related to your mechanical, electric, and plumbing permits. Those documents should be submitted only with those permits.
Make sure you do NOT use commas, # signs, other symbols, or special characters ($, $) in your file names. The ePermitting system will not upload file names with these symbols/characters correctly. Also, be sure your file names are unique before you attempt an upload.
Initial document uploads
- Use of a three-digit number can be very useful to control the sort order of documents during review. Items should be ordered as follows:
• Building plans, electrical plans, plumbing plans, and mechanical plans
• Civil plans
• Layouts and calculations
- A short description of the type of document, e.g., Civil -Set, Architectural -Set, Calcs, etc helps to quickly identify submittal documents. Making sure to have separate files for each group of files is highly recommended and preferred. For example, all "A" sheets should be in one file and all "C" sheets in another file.
Example file names for an initial upload of electronic documents
000-CIVIL SET_LANDSCAPING SET.PDF
030-FIRE PROTECTION SET.PDF
Changes to permit documents
You may need to provide changed/revised documents during the review process or after the permit has been issued. The recommended naming convention for these is slightly different.
If you make material changes/revisions to plans prior to or after issuance which would require additional plan review - the following file naming is ideal to set these submittals apart from other prior submittals:
- The entire discipline file set should be uploaded.
- Verify that the all changes are clouded on the plans with a revision delta and the revision recorded in the revision block.
- The revised set should be named the same as the original files with a -REV and a number appended to the end of the file name. The first time you submit a revised set, you would append -REV-01. The second time you submit a revised set, you would append -REV-02 and so on.
- Upload an additional 8.5 x 11 file with a narrative explaining what sheets were revised and a brief description of what was changed.
Example file names for changed/revised documents