The Oregon Office of Emergency Management is a division of the Oregon Military Department
The office coordinates and maintains a statewide emergency services system for emergency and disaster communications. OEM is made up of four Sections: Director’s Office, Technology and Response, Operations and Preparedness, and Mitigation and Recovery Services.
OEM awards grant funding to local governments, coordinates search and rescue efforts, and the State 9-1-1 Program. The Drought Council and Oregon Seismic Safety Advisory Commission (OSSPAC) also operate out of OEM. Our responsibilities are defined and authorized in ORS 401
Response to emergencies or disasters that affect all or part of the state takes place at the local level, in the city or county in which the emergency or disaster occurs. In a large incident or one that affects multiple jurisdictions, OEM may support a coordinated response. The State Emergency Coordination Center (ECC) may be activated in a multi-jurisdictional emergency or disaster, and serve as a communications hub to ensure all participating response agencies are coordinated.
OEM supports 18 Emergency Support Functions (ESFs) and more than 50 county, city and tribal local emergency management offices around the state.
is to lead statewide efforts to develop and enhance preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation capabilities to protect the lives, property and environment of the whole community.
Our vision is that Oregon has safe and resilient communities.
We embrace six core values:
- Customer Service – We provide proactive, timely and meaningful resolution to our stakeholders needs with open and approachable communication.
- Professionalism – We act with integrity and accountability, by taking ownership and responsibility for our actions and decisions, while striving for consistency, honesty and transparency.
- Teamwork – We embrace feedback, foster patience, and dedicate ourselves to respect others in order to collaboratively accomplish our goals.
- Innovation – We leverage all resources to promote creative ideas, flexible concepts and produce reliable information that enhance our workflow.
- Respect – We embrace an open, trusting and respectful workplace, where all members are valued, appreciated and treated with dignity.
- Opportunity – We expand our knowledge and skills through training, and personal development, and support opportunities to mentor and develop new leaders within our teams.