Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Frequently Asked Questions

​Energy assistance is a program that helps low-income individuals with a once per year payment to their heating/utility bills. Energy assistance is available year-round, and does not require a shut-off notice or past due bill.​

​No, this program is for individuals and residences only.​

​You do NOT need a shut off notice, or a past due bill, to apply!​

​Once the application process is complete, you will be notified of the amount that will be “pledged” on your behalf and then we will pay that amount to the utility company directly. Your pledge amount is based off of your household size and income.​

Please review all program eligibility requirements here​.

​No. You need to continue paying your utility bill. If it is too much for you to pay, call your utility company and arrange a payment plan and tell them you’re getting assistance from your local energy services assistance office​. Once processed, it can take 2-3 billing cycles to post in your utility account.​

​Call your utility company and let them know you have an appointment with your local energy services assistance office​​, and ask to arrange a payment plan. Even if it’s a very small monthly payment, it encourages them to work with you and prevents a shut-off.​

Many service agencies have a small staff that may not be able to return the number of calls they receive each day, as they spend most of their time assisting clients and the community. For that reason, agencies may use an automated phone system, so you don’t have to wait on the phone for a staff person to schedule. 

As funding is county specific, be sure to call the correct number for your county. 

Find an agency for utility payment help here.

Find an agency for weatherization assistance help here.​