Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions by Topic

Below are frequently asked questions that may be helpful related to the following categories for those living and working with manufactured and marina communities. 

Who is responsible for tree trimming and removal?

  • ​A tenant is responsible for maintaining the trees on the tenant’s space in a manufactured dwelling park at the tenant’s expense.
  • The landlord is responsible for a tree on a tenant's space that is both hazardous and not planted by the current tenant.  

What does it mean to “maintain a tree?”

  • ​“Maintaining a tree” means removing or trimming a tree for the purpose of eliminating features that cause the tree to be hazardous or may become hazardous. 
  • An inspection of any tree, greater than 8” in diameter at breast height (DBH), by an arborist or landscape professional if declared a hazard, becomes the responsibility of the tenant.

What is required to remove a tree?

  1. ​Felling and removing the tree, and
  2. Grinding or removing the stump. 

Who performs maintenance on Common Areas of the park?

A landlord who rents a space for a manufactured dwelling or floating home is responsible for maintenance of the rented space, vacant spaces in the facility, and the facility's common areas in a habitable condition.​​

How often can a landlord of a manufactured home park raise the rent?

The Oregon Legislature passed SB 611 in 2023, allowing the maximum allowable increase of 14.6% if the increase was issued before July 6, 2023. If the increase was issued after July 6, 2023, the maximum allowable increase is 10%. For more information, visit the Office of Economic Analysis website

Details of SB 611:

What is a Tenants’ Committee and how is it formed?

A Tenant’s Committee is a small group of tenants who meet with the landlord to talk about issues that concern the tenants of their park. The committee members are elec​ted in a facility-wide election process.

Where can a Tenants' Committee hold their meetings?

A tenant’s committee is allowed to use the common area of a facility to meet.

Who makes the rules about pets in my park?

A landlord may change rules and regulations to regulate the activity of all pets in a facility.

What if I had my pet prior to the rule change?

A tenant may keep a pet that is otherwise legally living with the tenant at the time the landlord provides notice of the proposed change to park pet rules.

Is the Owner of a Manufactured Home Park or Marina required to notify the tenants of the sale of the park or marina?

The owner of the park is required to give written notice of a plan to sell the facility to all tenants.

What can a tenant do if their Manufactured Home Park is for sale?

Within 15 days, the tenants can choose to purchase the facility, by notifying the owner in writing of:

  1. The tenants’ interest in competing to purchase the facility;
  2. Identification of a tenants’ committee formed for the purpose of purchasing the facility; and
  3. The name and contact information of the representative of the tenants’ committee.

What to do if you receive an Eviction Notice:

Receiving a landlord’s Notice of Termination is not an eviction. The landlord must first give the tenant a written notice that tells the tenant specifically what the tenant has done wrong, giving the tenant 30 days to correct the problem.

  • If the problem is not corrected within that 30-day period, the landlord then has the right to file an eviction action against the tenant with the court.
    • The landlord needs to prove that the tenant has violated their rental agreement, written park rule, or the law.
    • The Landlord would also have to prove that the tenant has been given prior written notice of the violation.
  • Before a tenant can be evicted, the tenant has the right to a court hearing where they can give the court evidence that the violations never occurred or were corrected.
  • If the tenant has corrected the violation, the tenant needs to provide proof of the correction.
  • If the tenant corrects the violation, but it occurs again within six months, the landlord can then terminate the tenancy by giving the tenant a 20-day written notice that states the violation and the date the tenancy will end.
    • This time the tenant will not have the right to avoid eviction by correcting the problem.​

Informal Dispute Resolution – What is it?

  • Every park/marina owner is required to provide a process of establishing informal dispute resolution.
  • Owners/Landlords are required to provide the facility policy regarding informal dispute resolution in the Statement of Policy to prospective and existing tenants.
  • Informal dispute resolution is voluntary, and a tenant does not have to participate.
  • Informal dispute resolution deals with minor disagreements that do not rise to the level of eviction or court involvement.

Mediation – what is it?

  • Incidents that cannot voluntarily be resolved.
  • Both parties must participate in a Mandatory mediation at least once.
  • The tenant or landlord can initiate mediation by contacting the Community Dispute Resolution Center (CDRC) in their area, or by contacting the MMCRC which can help locate their local CDRC.
  • The mediator assigned to the mediation will report back to the MMCRC with the result of the mediation.

What can be mediated?

  • Disputes between the landlord and one or more tenants may be initiated by any party.
  • Disputes between any two or more tenants, initiated by the landlord or by one or both tenants.

What items can’t be mediated?

  • Facility closures
  • Facility sales
  • Rent increases
  • Rent payments or amounts owed.

Manufactured & Marina Communities Resource Center

Hotline: 1-800-453-5511
PH: 503-986-2145
FAX: 503-986-2006

Website Questions?  Send message via email.