Skip to main content Homepage

Dispensing Authority

The supervising physician may request approval for dispensing authority for the PA as part of the practice agreement. The supervising physician must be registered with the Board as a dispensing physician. The PA may not dispense medication until the Board notifies the supervising physician that the PA has been granted dispensing authority.

  • Underserved dispensing may be requested for rural practice areas or medically underserved populations where pharmacy access is restricted to the patient because of geographic or financial restraints.
  • General dispensing may be requested for urban practice areas:  the PA may not dispense Schedule II* controlled substances; each facility from which the PA will dispense medications must be registered as a Supervising Physician Dispensing Outlet with the Oregon Board of Pharmacy; and the PA must complete a PA Drug Dispensing Training Program.

*Effective January 1, 2018, physician assistants with general dispensing authority may dispense Schedule III-IV controlled substances, which was previously prohibited. This change is a result of Senate Bill 423 (2017).

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how