***The Board does not pre-approve CE courses or providers.***
A licensee must earn at least 40 CE credits
completed during the two-year period immediately preceding the renewal date. New licensees (licensed less than one year) are not required to complete any CE until after their first renewal. A licensee's CE reporting period is the same as their license renewal
Licensees' CE must include at least 4 credits of professional ethics and/or Oregon State laws and regulations related to the practice of psychology for each reporting period. This is a continuous requirement.
Pain Management CE
Licensees' CE must include at least 1 credit
of Pain Management education for each reporting period. Click here
for more information.
Cultural Competency CE
Licensees must complete 4 hours
of Cultural Competency CE within each reporting period. This is a continuous requirement. Click here
for more information.
Suicide Risk Assessment, Treatment and Management CE
***Beginning July 1, 2022, licensees must complete 2 hours of Suicide Risk Assessment, Treatment and Management within each reporting period.***
See our Reporting Table
for a visual timeline of the new requirements.
Documents & Forms
- CE Overview - Basic information and FAQs.
- OAR Chapter 858, Division 40 - CE administrative rules.
- CE Audit Report - Required to keep track of CE. Maintain for your record, but do not submit unless you are audited.
- Reading Log - Fillable form* required to track books and articles read from peer reviewed journals claimed for CE credit. (Non-fillable form)
- Study Group Form - This template is used for keeping record of study group meetings.
* Some computer settings will block fillable forms. If this happens, please contact your IT provider, or try our non-fillable versions. It is recommended that you save these forms to your computer, and type in your entries as you complete CE. These forms will allow you to save your work.
A random selection of even-numbered licensees (in even years) or odd-numbered licensees (in odd years) are audited for continuing education (CE) compliance. If you are selected, you will receive notice in the year following your CE period. Please see OAR 858-040-0026.
For CE Providers
The Board does not pre-review or pre-approve continuing education programs. Therefore, it is not appropriate to advertise that any program has been approved by OBOP. However, you may state that a program is designed to meet OBOP's requirements. To qualify, the program must be a qualifying type (e.g., a substantive professional development program of a recognized mental health organization), and there are three basic requirements:
(a) The subject matter deals primarily with substantive psychological issues, skills or laws, rules and ethical standards related to one's role as a psychologist or psychologist associate.
(b) The program is conducted by a qualified instructor or discussion leader. A qualified instructor or discussion leader is a person whose background, training, education, or experience makes it appropriate for the person to make a presentation or lead a discussion on the subject matter; and
(c) A record of attendance, such as a certificate of completion, is obtained.
The record of attendance should contain, at minimum, the title and location of the program, the sponsor, the date and duration, and the name and degree of the qualified instructor.