Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Call Before You Dig

Oregon Utility Notification Center

Call 811 or toll free 1-800-332-2344 at least two business days before starting any digging project. By calling, the Oregon Utility Notification Center (OUNC) will coordinate with your utility service providers to mark the location of your electric, natural gas, communications, and water utilities to avoid damaging underground lines. Learn more about the OUNC and 811 service or view the Oregon Dig Law Standards Manual.

Be smart -- Call 811 whether planning to dig yourself or hiring a professional!

 Buried gas line flag in ground

PUC Logo

PUC's Role

The Oregon Public Utility Commission (PUC) holds a position on the OUNC board of directors and enforces violations of Oregon's Dig Laws.



The PUC enforces Oregon Administrative Rules for preventing damage to underground utilities. The rules facilitate a critical statewide one-call system administered by the Oregon Utility Notification Center. Using the nationwide 811 number is the first step to get underground facilities located and marked in order to avoid damaging petroleum or natural gas pipes, electric or fiber optic cable, telephone lines, or a water main.
The PUC orders enforcement actions against excavators that don’t use the one-call system and utility service providers that don’t provide location and marking services. View enforcement information related to Notification Center complaints.

Complaint Process

If you would like to submit a complaint about someone not using the one-call system or if you're having issues with a utility service provider not locating and marking your services, please submit your complaint online. You may also submit a complaint by calling the PUC's Consumer Services team at 503-378-6600 or 800-522-2404. Please do not call this number to schedule utility marking services. You may also access the complaint form using the QR code below.