Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Parking - Frequently Asked Questions

Yellow Lot

Q. I park in the Yellow lot and forgot my permit. Who do I call?
A. Call the State Parking office at 503-378-5090 to be authorized by providing your license plate number.
Q. Does the Yellow Lot accept all types of payment for daily parking?
A. The Yellow Lot Pay & Display machine only accepts debit/credit cards.
Q. I received a statement and found that in one day I was charged multiple times for parking at the Yellow Lot. Do I contact State Parking?
A. Contact the State Parking office at 503-378-5090 for help resolving credit card charges.

Wait List

Q. How do I get on the waitlist for parking?
A. Contact State Parking at 503-378-5090 and give your general work information and request to be placed on the waitlist for any state-owned lot.
Q. I found out the wait for parking is long. Are there other choices for parking?
A. You can contact Private Parking vendors/lots and check if they have parking available or you can use other modes of transportation (i.e. Bus, carpool, walk, or bike), or you can park at the yellow lot which is $6 per day.

Smart Commuter

Q. How do I get Smart Commuter Permits?
A. Complete a Smart Commuter application. You can fax the completed form and we will shuttle the parking permits to you at work or stop by our office to apply and receive the parking permits. Smart Commuter occasional parking passes are free to qualifying state employees.
Q. What are the Smart Commuter Permits?
A. A Smart Commuter Permit allows two free days of parking each month. The permits are valid at Capitol Mall Parking Structure two hour parking meters, Green, Red, Yellow and Ferry Street Structure Rooftop unreserved spaces and the Portland State Office Building Park and Pay spaces. Smart Commuter Permits are only for state employees who work within the Salem Capitol Mall parking area or at the Portland State Office Building.

Alternative Modes of Transportation

Q. I have decided to ride my bicycle to work. How do I go about leasing a bike room/locker?
A. Bike rooms have a $11 annual fee with $25 key deposits at some locations. Some buildings also have bike lockers, which cost $6 per month with a $25 key deposit. Contact State Parking at 503-378-5090 for bike room/locker key availability.
Q. I paid for motorcycle parking and I can’t find any spaces available. Where can I park my motorcycle?
A. Motorcycle permits allow you to park at any state motorcycle reserved spaces, including nearby state lots and parking structures. See our maps that are provided or contact State Parking at 503-378-5090.
Q. I work inside the Capitol Mall area but live in Portland/Eugene and I am looking for the link that will connect me with the folks that run the vanpool service. Do you have that information?
A. Visit www.cherriotsrideshare.org for further information on vanpools, commuter bus routes and a carpool matching service contact them at 503-588-2424. You can also contact Valley Vanpool at 877-826-7433. You can also fill-out the transit enrollment form (under Transit Forms).

Permit / Space Cancellations

Q. I’m retiring soon (or changing agencies) and want to know how I would go about cancelling my parking and/or returning a parking permit?
A. Call State Parking at 503-378-5090. We notify your payroll personnel to cancel your parking deduction. If you have a parking permit (i.e. Red, Green, Yellow lot, or Ferry roof) please return it in person or by mail to State Parking, 1100 Airport Rd SE, Salem OR 97301-6082.
Q. I forgot my permit at (Red lot, Green lot or Ferry St. rooftop). Who do I call?
A. Call State Parking at 503-378-5090 before 9 a.m. and report your name, permit number, vehicle license number and the lot that you are parked in. You may also leave a voice message with the same information.