Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Using Private Vehicles on State Business
What is a private vehicle?
The Vehicle Use and Access Rules, OAR 125-155, defines a private vehicle as a motor vehicle that is owned, rented, borrowed, leased or otherwise lawfully in the possession and control of any private person or any entity other than the state. A commercially rented vehicle is a private vehicle if it is rented or used for private use or any mix of private and state uses.
Does the state´s insurance cover me while I am driving a private vehicle on state business?
It depends.
  • When using a private vehicle on state business, private auto insurance is always the primary coverage, i.e., it applies first.
  • There is no state coverage for property damage (collision or comprehensive coverages) to the private vehicle.
  • The state´s liability coverage may apply. If there is an accident while using a private vehicle for state business, and the loss exceeds the private auto´s policy limits, the state´s liability coverage may apply to amounts over the private auto´s policy limits.
  • The state´s liability coverage is excess. There are conditions for coverage. You must be using the vehicle in accordance with the Vehicle Use and Access Rules, OAR 125-155, for authorized official state business within state directives.
  • No private vehicle is covered in any way by the state while it is being used for any personal purpose or contrary to state directives.
If there are any questions about appropriate coverage for the private vehicle, check with your own insurance agent for advice.
Do state agencies need to use an approval process for the use of personal vehicles on state business?
Risk Management does not require that your employees or volunteers obtain written approval to drive their own vehicles. However, it is a good policy to put it in writing.
For additional information: Check out Vehicles and State Insurance Coverage in the Vehicle Incident Prevention Project (VIPP) Toolkit.