Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Other Historic Bridges
Cape Creek Bridge
 
Cape Creek Bridge
Oregon Coast Highway, Heceta Head Vicinity
Lane County, 1932
 
 
The bridge over Cape Creek, one of Conde B. McCullough´s most unique and attractive arch designs, abuts the Cape Creek Tunnel on the Oregon Coast Highway at Devil´s Elbow State Park. The numerous columns and arches of the bridge, complemented by the elevation, create an image reminiscent of the Roman aqueducts, particularly the Pont du Gard, near Nimes, France. The double-tiered structure and the sheer number of arches promote a sense of rhythm that combines with the decorative bracketing and railing to make this a very handsome structure. The main span of the 619-foot structure is a 220-foot open spandrel rib-type reinforced concrete deck arch. The Cape Creek Bridge was constructed by John K. Holt and the Clackamas Construction Company. Click here for a map showing the Devil´s Elbow vicinity. - map
 

Cazadero Bridge
 
Cazadero Bridge
Clackamas River, Estacada Vicinity
Clackamas County, 1904
 
   
 
The Cazadero Bridge is a wooden-decked steel arch that spans the Clackamas River near Estacada, Oregon. A predecessor company of Portland General Electric constructed the bridge around 1904 near the future site of the Cazadero Dam and powerhouse. It was originally a railroad structure near the end of a 32-mile standard-gauge line that the Oregon Water Power and Railway Company constructed to bring supplies to the site. The rail line was also envisioned as a means for accessing large stands of timber on the Upper Clackamas River. It eventually served passenger and freight traffic between the Sellwood district of Portland, through Gresham and Boring, to Estacada. After completion of the dam complex, the tracks were removed from the bridge. The span continues to provide service vehicles access to the dam and powerhouse. In addition, it provides anglers, hikers and bicyclists non-motorized access to nearby Faraday Lake. Click here for a map showing the location of the Cazadero Bridge. - map
 

Crane-Venator Bridge
 
South Fork of the Malheur River (Crane-Venator) Bridge
Crane-Venator Road, MP 22.06
Harney County, 1964
  
 
Constructed in 1964, the South Fork of the Malheur (Crane-Venator) Bridge has an overall length of 64-feet. The length of the main truss span is 39-feet and the bridge deck width is 21-feet 9 inches. This bridge is a very rare example of a timber king post truss bridge in Oregon. In the context of Eastern Oregon, it is the only example of its type. Simply designed, the resource demonstrates the primary elements of a truss bridge. The heavy timber frame is reinforced with knee braces and with riveted metal gussets on both the interior and exterior of the king posts. The floor beam is supported by steel tension rods and the structure rests on concrete piers. The Crane-Venator Bridge is located in an isolated agricultural area and is utilized about 40 times per day. Click here for map showing the vicinity of the Crane-Venator Bridge. - map
 

Crooked River Bridge
 
Crooked River (High) Bridge
The Dalles-California Highway, MP 141.68 (Bypassed)
Jefferson County, 1926
  
 
This highway span over the Crooked RIver Gorge provides one of the leading points of scenic grandeur in the central portion of the state. Designed by Conde B. McCullough, this bridge is 464 feet long and consists of a 330-foot two-hinged steel braced-spandrel arch. The structure was one of the highest bridges in the United States (at 295 feet from deck to streambed) when it was constructed. Architectural features include an ornamental bridge raling and entrance pylons with dedication plaques. It is located just upstream from the 1911 Oregon Trunk Railroad steel arch bridge designed by Ralph Modjeski.
 

Hawthorne Bridge
 
Willamette River (Hawthorne) Bridge
Madison Street-Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland
Multnomah County, 1910
 
 

Shepperds Dell
 
Young Creek (Shepperd´s Dell) Bridge
Crown Point Highway, Latourell Vicinity
Multnomah County, 1914
 
    
 
This graceful reinforced concrete deck arch has a main arch span of 100 feet and consists of two parabolic arch ribs with open spandrels. Designed by K.R. Billner underthe supervison of Samuel C. Lancaster, the structure was constructed by the Pacific Bridge Company, Portland, at a cost of $10,800. A stairwell and trail to the falls orginates at the east end of the bridge. The structure is located in Shepperd´s Dell State Park. Shepperd´s Dell was donated as parkland by the owner, George Shepperd, a local farmer of modest means, in memory of his wife. Click here for a map showing the location of Shepperd´s Dell Bridge. - map